Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
LG Display announced on May 19, 2009 the world's thinnest 42-inch and 47-inch 1080p LCD TV panels making use of edge-lit LED backlights. The LCD panels are just 5.9mm thick (0.23-inch). LG Display also incorporated the company's proprietary LGS (Light Guide Sheet) technology that reduced thickness by half compared to typical LGPs (light guide plates).

Light The world's thinnest 42-inch and 47-inch LCD TV panels are also very light at just 6.1kg (13.42lbs) and 7.3kg (16.06lbs) respectively. These are roughly 1/2 the weight of typical LCD TVs that employ CCFL backlights.

Performance The color gamut has improved from a standard 72% NTSC to 80%. LG Display also incorporated 120Hz technology to reduce motion blur and clocks in at a motion picture response time (MPRT) of just 8ms.

LCD TVs of the future will be thinner, lighter, consumer less power, better color gamuts, and very decent front screen performance. What is missing here is local dimming but I hear that companies are working on pairing that with edge-lit LED backlighting.

Update Here is some updated information about the world's thinnest 42-inch and 47-inch LCD TV panels: Viewing angles are 178/178; the LCD panel is 10-bit; and brightness is 450 cd/m2. Power consumption is 110W for the 42-inch model and 130W for the 47-inch. Availability is undecided at the moment.

source

you can only make tvs so thin, I believe we have crossed that line.

I agree. TV don't really need to be so thin or light. I like TV which are kind of heavy, and thicker since they are harder to steal if someone decides to burgle my home.

Back