froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
HACKED OFF Linux users have started a campaign to get Microsoft to fix the Skype VoIP platform which they claim has been in decline for some time.

The open letter to Microsoft said: "It was a shitty move to not update the client for three years, which resulted in this, mostly. It was annoying that you ignored almost every tweet to @SkypeSupport about issues with Skype for Linux. But it is absolutely disgraceful that you dropped the Linux client BEFORE any alternatives are available and without telling your users."

Read More

This is disappointing for Linux users who use Skype to contact friends and Family on Skype, and suddenly lose access to Skype on Linux.

I wonder could Linux user use the Android version of Skype with the Linux version of Google Chrome's Android runtime/emulator program which lets you run some Android Apps in Chrome.

There is a program called WineHQ which let Linux users run some Windows Program in Linux by using WineHQ Windows Runtime, so there is a possibility Skype for Windows will run in Linux with WineHQ.

Running an Android app driver to open Skype is alost the same as running the Windows version on Wine, it won't end well.

As a Linux user, I can only hope that everyone moves to Ubuntu or similar like me. It is faster than Windows and more secure, at least we don't fight against other operating systems because Linux just exists and gets improved by everyone. Windows knows that more users are moving to Linux, this is why they won't let us use any MS softwares anymore.

Running an Android app driver to open Skype is alost the same as running the Windows version on Wine, it won't end well.

Thanks for informing us that Running the Android App driver to open Skype in Linux won't end well like using Wine for Skype which does not end well.

I guest Linux users may have more success installing Android x86, or Remix OS which is based on Android on to their computer's hard drive to make a dual-boot PC or use VirtualBox Virtualization software to run Android within Linux, and see if Skype will work with their webcam, and microphone for video chats on Skype.

Buying a cheap 7 inch Android tablet for Skype can also be another alternative to using Skype without using Windows or Apple devices.

They should be happy Skype is even on linux, MS has no obligation to keep it up to date.

They should be happy Skype is even on linux, MS has no obligation to keep it up to date.
Back when MS wasn't the owner of Skype, Linux users used it because MS didn't share the old Windows Live Messenger with anyone. That is why Skype became a success, it has been made to be compatible with as many operating systems as possible to contact with each other, but right now it is another Windows Live Messenger, even gaming consoles have a more update version.

I agree, MS does not have an obligation to keep Skype for Linux updated like most free software where free software creators can stop supporting their software at any time because the users do not pay for the software or service like video chat, instant messaging, and voice chat.

Back