Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
intel_rcp_x220.jpg

Intel has announced plans to sell a specialized Wi-Fi platform later this year that can send data from a city to outlying rural areas tens of miles away, connecting sparsely populated villages to the Internet. The wireless technology, called the rural connectivity platform (RCP), will be helpful to computer-equipped students in poor countries, says Jeff Galinovsky, a senior platform manager at Intel. And the data rates are high enough--up to about 6.5 megabits per second--that the connection could be used for video conferencing and telemedicine, he says.

The RCP, which essentially consists of a processor, radios, specialized software, and an antenna, is an appealing way to connect remote areas that otherwise would go without the Internet, says Galinovsky. Wireless satellite connections are expensive, he points out. And it's impractical to wire up some villages in Asian and African countries. "You can't lay cable," he says. "It's difficult, expensive, and someone is going to pull it up out of the ground to sell it."

Already, Intel has installed and tested the hardware in India, Panama, Vietnam, and South Africa. Later this year, the company will sell the device in India, with a target price below $500. The point-to-point technology will require two nodes, which could provide "full back-end infrastructure" for less than $1,000, Galinovsky says.

One node is usually installed at the edge of an urban area, wired to a local-area network cable, he explains. Using a directional antenna, the device shoots data to a receiving antenna as far as 60 miles away. Any farther away, and the system encounters problems due to the curvature of the earth. Practically, most links will be set up less than 30 miles away from one another. Once a node is installed in a village, the connection can be dispersed using standard cables and wireless routers, Galinovsky says.

more here

That is nice. This makes rural living more appealing. Playing XBOX live out in the country where noone could here me screem.

I wish that Intel WI Fi is installed here.
There are many areas where you couldn't get a decent internet connection through mobile data around here.

I know a lot of Internet Service Providers now has public Wifi service for customers to use, so I think this tech would be useful for ISPs.

I feel some ISPs may raise the price of internet service if many people are using long distance Wi-Fi because there would be a greater demand for fast internet connections to use for a long distance wifi router, so the money saving from using long distance Wifi may not be very great.

I feel some ISPs may raise the price of internet service if many people are using long distance Wi-Fi because there would be a greater demand for fast internet connections to use for a long distance wifi router, so the money saving from using long distance Wifi may not be very great.

I dont think that would change a lot for ISP. The long distance Wi-Fi packages would probably cost just a bit less and last as long as data packages for mobile devices. So while it will be cheaper, it will still be more affordable for people to have their own internet plans to stream/download stuff or play online games.

If anything, the new competition may lead to them lowering their prices.

I dont think that would change a lot for ISP. The long distance Wi-Fi packages would probably cost just a bit less and last as long as data packages for mobile devices. So while it will be cheaper, it will still be more affordable for people to have their own internet plans to stream/download stuff or play online games.

If anything, the new competition may lead to them lowering their prices.

Long distance wifi packages may make long distance internet more affordable for some countries in Europe, and Asia.

But, I feel countries in North America may not have cheaper mobile data after long distance wi-fi is released unless the government make laws to force companies to lower the cost of mobile data after long distance Wifi is released.

North American countries like Canada, and America have many big ISP companies like Verizon, AT&T, Telus, Rogers, Shaw, etc which are also cell phone service providers, so I think these companies may not make their mobile data service cheaper when long distance Wi-Fi services are released. ISPs which also provide mobile service may increase the cost of long distance wifi modem and router rentals, and purchases to earn more money from rental and purchases of modem and router.

Long distance wifi packages may make long distance internet more affordable for some countries in Europe, and Asia.

But, I feel countries in North America may not have cheaper mobile data after long distance wi-fi is released unless the government make laws to force companies to lower the cost of mobile data after long distance Wifi is released.

North American countries like Canada, and America have many big ISP companies like Verizon, AT&T, Telus, Rogers, Shaw, etc which are also cell phone service providers, so I think these companies may not make their mobile data service cheaper when long distance Wi-Fi services are released. ISPs which also provide mobile service may increase the cost of long distance wifi modem and router rentals, and purchases to earn more money from rental and purchases of modem and router.

Even if they dont reduce the price of their packages, I doubt they would be able to raise them without suffering some amount of backslash. They could get rid of the lower priced ones to force people to buy their currently expensive ones, but that's about all they could do to deal with it. At least that's how I see it xD I honestly dont know how the companies there work, and what they are allowed to do. But increasing the price of their services will lead to them losing some subscribers. And if even one of the big ones decides to keep prices unchanged, or even lower them, they would get these dissatisfied subscribers.

As for the cost of long distance wifi modem and router rentals, how expensive could they make it honestly? It will benefit them to reach as many people as possible.

Even if they dont reduce the price of their packages, I doubt they would be able to raise them without suffering some amount of backslash. They could get rid of the lower priced ones to force people to buy their currently expensive ones, but that's about all they could do to deal with it. At least that's how I see it xD I honestly dont know how the companies there work, and what they are allowed to do. But increasing the price of their services will lead to them losing some subscribers. And if even one of the big ones decides to keep prices unchanged, or even lower them, they would get these dissatisfied subscribers.

As for the cost of long distance wifi modem and router rentals, how expensive could they make it honestly? It will benefit them to reach as many people as possible.

There is already a backlash of expensive internet service by many North Americans who are force to pay high prices for internet data from an ISP, and cell phone provider. But, there is not much people can do since there are no cheaper ISP alternative where they live, or the alternatives are about the same, or worst than their current expensive ISP service.

Unfortunately, there are sometimes not many choices in Internet and cell phone service in some smaller towns, and states/provinces in North America, so you sometimes users only have a few choices or one choice in ISP and cell phone service. Sometimes it is cheaper to use the same company for both your Internet and cell phone service because of bundle discounts when users sign up for a bundle TV, internet, phone service, and cell phone service from the same company.

The current rental cost of a modem wifi router combo device is around $10 USD per month, so I feel a long distance modem Wi-Fi router rental maybe $15 to $20.

Back