Looks like Project M is back!

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPMCE

It's called Project M Community Edition, and is being developed like an open source project, rather than with a single small development team.

They're also being a bit more clever in regards to security and avoiding legal issues, so it shouldn't meet the same mysterious fate as the last version.

So yeah, thoughts? I'm personally happy this game is coming back, you can't keep a good fan project down.

Mixed thoughts. The original team stopped for a reason, I am concerned this will still bring them into trouble even if they are not involved like before. If Nintendo ever decides to take action. I think taht even if PMCE caused the uproar PMDT would be the ones targeted and just charged with the "damages" their versions up to version 3.60 before halting processes can be enough to give them a lifetime of trouble.

I loved the project and I am sad it is gone but I don't think going against the developer's wishes is a good idea.

I strongly doubt it. Remember, they didn't stop because of any actual legal action or threats.

No one at Nintendo or any other company threatened them with anything.

The reason they shut down was... well, one of two reasons, which are both somewhat vague:

1. Some members are working on a new fighting game, and they didn't want Nintendo to think it was based off Super Smash Bros (because it's an original IP that has a similar playstyle, and if Project M existed, apparently the company might think these developers used Smash Bros as a a base or something).

2. Because someone was scared of the potential worry of legal action. Not a threat, a somewhat paranoid 'this could go wrong somehow' feeling.

I suspect nothing will come of it. If it does and the old team does get in trouble... well, sucks to be them, but they might as well as just accept the situation is unavoidable and start thinking of a good argument to make in court. Cause something this big will never stay dead, even if they desperately pray for it.

Back