Low Sales Figures In Japan For The Xbox 360

Lleyn

Beep
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
The Xbox 360′s successor may well be just around the corner, but Microsoft has a serious problem on its hands in Japan. According to sales figures published by Japan’s Dengeki Online, even last week’s top-selling Xbox 360 game, Gears of War: Judgement, only managed to sell a paltry 347 copies in total. In a country where sales for Nintendo’s handheld 3DS reached almost 60,000 units in the exact same period, it’s clear that Microsoft’s console is struggling to keep its head above water.

It may come as a surprise to many of our Western readers, but apart from brief periods of growth around the launch of the new, slimmer model and titles like The Idolmaster, Blue Dragon and arcade flight game Ace Combat 6, the 360 has always struggled to find a place in Japanese gamers’ hearts. For many, the bulk of software available for 360 is simply “too western”, with many Japanese favourites appearing on Sony’s PlayStation 3 instead.

It was only when last week’s sales figures came in, however, that we realised just how dire the situation had become for Microsoft’s console.

Despite receiving generally positive reviews, cover-based third-person shooter Gears of War: Judgement (released in Japan at the end of March this year) sold an estimated 347 copies between April 8-14. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge — released even more recently — followed with 307 units sold, while beautiful first-person survival shooter Far Cry 3 managed just 120 copies.
Sounds tough for them.

Source

This is a part of why I never bothered with Microsoft consoles.

Bayonetta actually sold pretty well on the 360 in Japan.

I think American products like the Xbox don't sell very well in Japan compared to Japanese products made by Sony, and Nintendo.

I say that MS should just forget Japan, but since their rival products do just as well on America soil they do got a bit of a problem.

The problem being that no one wants to expand to 3 systems. I myself, barely have enough time to 2 systems and over in japan most of their target audience is busy with life, school and a job.

I read the Xbox 360 is the best selling console in the US for 27 months straight at http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-360-best-selling-console-for-27-straight-months-in-us-19278570/ , and it still beat the Nintendo Wii U in sales, so I don't think the Xbox 360 has many problems since it is the best selling console in the US for over 2 years. The rising number of 360 owners are most likely from people who own a Wii, PS3, and PC, and want to also buy a 360 because they want to play exclusive Xbox games like Fable 3.

If consoles were more affordable like $99-199, more people will buy three since consoles are all-in-one electronics which can play games, watch dvds, browse the web, play music, video and voice chat with a mic or webcam/kinect, stream video and music, use them to login to social networks like Facebook or Twitter, and install apps onto consoles, so they can do more things. 

A lot of people already game on more than two devices, but at different times. There are many people who own a Wii, Xbox 360, Smartphone, Tablet, and PC which is fast enough to play emulators, games like Counter Strike : Source, and Flash games.

The 63, 416 people who pledged to the Ouya Android console on Kickstarter also probably own more than two console, or gaming device since the average pledger for the Ouya is most likely a tech savvy person who already own a console, PC and electronics like Smartphones and tablets which can play games, but want to try out another console like the Ouya to play cheap android games, but with a controller instead of touch screen or motion controls like Smartphone and tablet.

Back