Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Do you think the drinking age should be lowered? Granted this is different pending what country you are in, but here in the states it is currently at 21 but there are those who want it down to 18.

Your thoughts?

I don't think we should lower the drinking age. I mean, there are people who are 21 who aren't responsible enough to drink legally. Personally, I'm on the side of prohibition. I think alcohol should be banned and made just as illegal and drugs because it's harmful to your body just like drugs and smoking.

As someone from the UK, I'm surprised the US has it so high. I mean, you can drive, work full time, join the army or have sex before being able to drink? What insanity is this?

You guys should definitely lower the drinking age to 18.

because in the US people drink to get drunk, sadly not to enjoy the taste of anything.
What's funny about this statement is, a lot of adults I know who get drunk tells me they don't even like the taste; it takes away the pain or something like that. And if that's the case, you're better off finding a hobby or doing something less dangerous.

I feel lowering the age to 18 would not cause more problems, and may make it safer since people who are 18 can buy beer from a trustworthy safe business like a bar or liquor store. There also will be less underage people stealing beer from a bar or store if they can legally buy it.

Underage people who want to drink beer will find a way to buy beer from a criminal, steal it, or make their own beer by following a tutorial on making beer on the internet and books at the library.

Some underage people may find other more dangerous chemicals and drugs if they don't have access to beer. I remember seeing news stories of kids and adults using glue, bath salts, chemicals, gas, and prescription pain killer drugs which can be a lot worse, and more dangerous than alcohol.

Lowering the drinking age to 18 can cause fewer people to be tricked into buying fake and unsafe beer and other alcoholic drinks from a criminal which may sell low quality alcoholic drinks which contains dangerous chemicals like lead and mercury in the cans and bottles, and the beer may contain more dangerous drugs mixed with them, and germs, bacteria, and mold if the factory does not keep its beer making machines clean.

Buying beer and other alcoholic drinks from a local bar, liquor store, or convenience store is safer because the beer is made by trustworthy beer and alcoholic drinks company, and you are not buying beer from a criminal who may sell you unsafe beer which is unsafe to drink.

Last edited:
What's funny about this statement is, a lot of adults I know who get drunk tells me they don't even like the taste; it takes away the pain or something like that. And if that's the case, you're better off finding a hobby or doing something less dangerous.

pretty much this, I think most booze smells horrible and I know many who drink to forget their life.

Yeah, a lot of people drink for the sake of drinking here too. But you should have laws make society better for the majority of the population, not just 'protect' people think because you think they need protecting from themselves.

because in the US people drink to get drunk, sadly not to enjoy the taste of anything.
It's the same thing over here to be honest. Probably the same all over the world. I like the taste of some drinks to be honest, not a huge of beer myself. A lot of the strong stuff tastes pretty decent especially if your drunk :grin:. I think it should be lowered to 21, it seems way too high. You're an adult at 18 therefore should be able to drink if you want.

I know who get drunk tells me they don't even like the taste; it takes away the pain or something like that.

I feel people who use beer to take away the pain should see a therapist/psychologist, ask a friend or family member for helping them feel better about their lives, join alcoholic anonymous, or watch self-help videos on YouTube, read a self-help book, etc to help solve their life's problem.

Finding a new hobby maybe unsafe if they use it to make their life less painful since they can lose control of themselves again, and start to watch too much TV, get addicted to the internet, drink too much coffee/caffeine, or get addicted to gambling which can also cause problems if they do it too much to take away the pain.

In my country it has always been 18 the legal age to drink with, but is funny, I started drinking at 15 with my friends in highschool.

Lowered!? Oh by Gods will no! If anything at all then raised! That would save millions of lives through the prevention of alcohol addiction and abuse and alcohol related deaths. But the government and many people around the world that don't fully understand that and want to drink don't want that to happen. That would mean the government would lose out on billions in tax revenue and you wouldn't legally be allowed to drink until you was 21!

I'm in the UK and underage drinking IS a problem here. Not just underage drinking but those that are the bare legal age of 18, many a percentage of them go on to have drinking problems later on not to mention health problems because of it. I believe if the drinking age was raised to 21 in the UK like it has been and is in the US, then yeah, the gov might lose out in tax revenue, but it would save a lot of people. The amount of people it affects negatively and how much the gov don't lose out from them is not enough for them to consider their lives more valuable than what they'd make if that happened.

Sorry to gush lol.. That's just what I think about it but I've lost friends and family to drinking abuse and as much as I like a drink lol.. I don't abuse it as that's not wise but if you lower the age well, I think that's just asking for trouble. Our generation is a bit twisted as it is cor lol.. :p

Lowered!? Oh by Gods will no! If anything at all then raised! That would save millions of lives through the prevention of alcohol addiction and abuse and alcohol related deaths. But the government and many people around the world that don't fully understand that and want to drink don't want that to happen. That would mean the government would lose out on billions in tax revenue and you wouldn't legally be allowed to drink until you was 21!

I'm in the UK and underage drinking IS a problem here. Not just underage drinking but those that are the bare legal age of 18, many a percentage of them go on to have drinking problems later on not to mention health problems because of it. I believe if the drinking age was raised to 21 in the UK like it has been and is in the US, then yeah, the gov might lose out in tax revenue, but it would save a lot of people. The amount of people it affects negatively and how much the gov don't lose out from them is not enough for them to consider their lives more valuable than what they'd make if that happened.

Sorry to gush lol.. That's just what I think about it but I've lost friends and family to drinking abuse and as much as I like a drink lol.. I don't abuse it as that's not wise but if you lower the age well, I think that's just asking for trouble. Our generation is a bit twisted as it is cor lol.. :p
It's the same with cigarettes too. While alcohol attacks your liver, cigarettes destroy your lungs and give cancer. The government doesn't even care because they tax the hell out of cigarettes and makes tons of money off the people who are slowly killing themselves.

I think no matter what the age range is to buy alcohol legally, people will always managed a way or another to get it.

I feel people should be better educated at school, online, and doctor visits about how drinking too much alcohol is harmful to their body and mind. Raising the drinking age may make things worse for people who don't follow the ban, or are tricked into getting drunk on legal substances like hand sanitizer.

There are many American news stories of underage Americans drinkers getting drunk on hand sanitizer like on More kids getting drunk on hand sanitizer - CNN.com , and other legal substances like Mouthwash and Rubbing Alcohol according to The People Giving Alcoholics Beer to Get Them to Stop Drinking Mouthwash . There seem to be fewer stories of teens in other countries with a lower drinking age getting drunk on Hand sanitizer, and Rubbing Alcohol which is a strong poison.

The high drinking age laws can be a reason for underage American teens drinking hand sanitizer, mouthwash, and rubbing alcohol, and the high drinking age laws does not prevent underage drinking of legal liquids like hand sanitizer, mouthwash, and rubbing alcohol which anyone can buy to get drunk.

Hand sanitizer, mouthwash, and rubbing alcohol can cause more harm in a shorter amount of time while drinking smaller amounts of hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol compared to just drinking a can of beer.

Teens illegally making their own homemade beer, and alcoholic drinks, and buying beer from a criminal which illegally sell low quality unclean beer to teens is dangerous since the alcoholic drink makers may not follow strict health codes like washing the cans with very hot water to get rid of germs, and bacteria which can make drinkers very sick, or use cheaper dangerous chemicals and drugs to simulate the feeling of getting drunk.

Last edited:
I don't drink so I don't really care. If they want to drink let them. Drunk driving and other stupid things happen no matter what age, not just the young people who drink. It's survival of the fittest so I say let them do whatever they want and see what happens.

Maybe having everyone who is 18 and over who wants to buys alcohol need to take and pass a alcohol responsibility test to buy alcohol. Passing an alcohol safety test may prevent many people from getting drunk if they know beer can make them drunk . People who pass a test on responsible drinking would know the health risk of drinking, drinking law, and legal punishments when drinking alcohol while driving a car, and using a gun while drunk which are not recommended to use when drunk.

Maybe having everyone who is 18 and over who wants to buys alcohol need to take and pass a alcohol responsibility test to buy alcohol. Passing an alcohol safety test may prevent many people from getting drunk if they know beer can make them drunk . People who pass a test on responsible drinking would know the health risk of drinking, drinking law, and legal punishments when drinking alcohol while driving a car, and using a gun while drunk which are not recommended to use when drunk.
While that may sound like a good idea, I honestly don't think that it will work. It like people who learn how to drive and then they start doing burnouts everywhere.

It may help but may not work for everyone. Also there nothing stopping someone fringing giving the drinks to someone else.

Back