Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A family in Florida drove into a major problem after buying a used electric vehicle: the replacement battery for their dead car wound up costing more than the used car was purchased for.

Avery Siwinski is a 17-year-old whose parents spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought, according to KVUE.

The teenager had the car for six months before it began giving her issues and the dashboard was flashing symbols.

The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000, according to the news outlet.

The Ford dealership had advised us that we could replace the battery," said her grandfather, Ray Siwinski. "It would only cost $14,000."

However, the family found out that there weren't any batteries of that type available anymore because the Ford model is discontinued.

source

Looks like electric cars has a huge draw back.

There are many problems already. Price, harder to service, chip shortage removes chips from older vehicles, not enough power, impractical charging methods for certain times of the day, and no one is gonna be safe from technological advancements making cars, or at least certain ones, obsolete sooner rather than later.

I wonder if the owner of the used electric car had the car's battery and other parts inspected before buying the used car. Buying an older electric car with the original battery is risky because the batteries usable life maybe reaching the end of its life where it won't work well anymore, and no longer can hold a charge when charging.

Hopefully, the owner can find a more affordable electric car repair shop which can fix her electric car battery for a reasonable price, and she will not charge her $14000 for a new battery.

Last edited:
There are many problems already. Price, harder to service, chip shortage removes chips from older vehicles, not enough power, impractical charging methods for certain times of the day, and no one is gonna be safe from technological advancements making cars, or at least certain ones, obsolete sooner rather than later.

Pretty sure the chip thing is affecting gas cars as well.

Pretty sure the chip thing is affecting gas cars as well.
But if manufacturers only want to make electric cars then you are forced into one when your old car is beyond repair. And like I said with the chips, those are moving to the highest bidder for the dealers.

But if manufacturers only want to make electric cars then you are forced into one when your old car is beyond repair. And like I said with the chips, those are moving to the highest bidder for the dealers.
Gas cars got a 100 years left in them, I'm perfectly fine.

I wonder would Ford will eventually talk to the owner of the Ford Focus Electric car with a dead battery, and give her a discount on a new battery, or fix her battery for free. I feel this story is not good publicity for Ford.

I wonder would Ford will eventually talk to the owner of the Ford Focus Electric car with a dead battery, and give her a discount on a new battery, or fix her battery for free. I feel this story is not good publicity for Ford.

It's not good publicity for anything electric.

It's not good publicity for anything electric.

I think expensive replacement battery cost is not good publicity for any car with a powerful battery including older hybrid cars like the Toyota Prius which has a gas engine, electric motor and expensive hybrid battery which cost thousands of dollars to replace.

I feel the re-sale value of used electric and hybrid cars would massively drop in price when more news story come out of buyers complaining of difficult to find new batteries for discontinued electric cars, and expensive battery replacements cost for their used electric car with a broken battery.

The prices and lack of affordability, in general, won't stop them from selling to the rich who can afford a new car every two years. Also, they aren't looking for new buyers who can't afford them anyways.

The prices and lack of affordability, in general, won't stop them from selling to the rich who can afford a new car every two years. Also, they aren't looking for new buyers who can't afford them anyways.

I heard on the news that a lot of electric cars in North America are leases and rentals where people need to return the car after their leases and rentals are over. But, the leases and rental costs can be expensive, and you don't own the car at the end.

I heard on the news that a lot of electric cars in North America are leases and rentals where people need to return the car after their leases and rentals are over. But, the leases and rental costs can be expensive, and you don't own the car at the end.
The one that costs you the least is the one that most can't afford.

That is the dilemma for EVs, that's for sure.
They need to make them more affordable & last longer. The chips, batteries needs to be better. While it's touted as an eco alternative, it sure can use a lot of electricity to charge it.

This is why I wouldn't have an electric car.

Besides this, I've heard that the electric cars are using up too much power and they are part of the problem when dealing with power outages. The government wants people to switch to electric cars, however, they cry when there are power outages.

Mass production and lack of standardization and interchangeability are the issues. If they become like PCs where companies make parts for electric cars which can be swapped around and other brands make parts which fit this wouldn't be an issue. Gas cars have a hundred year head start on market saturation and have entire cities built around them while electric cars don't.

A family in Florida drove into a major problem after buying a used electric vehicle: the replacement battery for their dead car wound up costing more than the used car was purchased for.

Avery Siwinski is a 17-year-old whose parents spent $11,000 on a used Ford Focus Electric car, which is a 2014 model and had about 60,000 miles when it was bought, according to KVUE.

The teenager had the car for six months before it began giving her issues and the dashboard was flashing symbols.

The problem? A battery for the electric car costs $14,000, according to the news outlet.

The Ford dealership had advised us that we could replace the battery," said her grandfather, Ray Siwinski. "It would only cost $14,000."

However, the family found out that there weren't any batteries of that type available anymore because the Ford model is discontinued.

source

Thank Sucks and 14,000 for a battery ? hell no I dont want that car

This is why I wouldn't have an electric car.

Besides this, I've heard that the electric cars are using up too much power and they are part of the problem when dealing with power outages. The government wants people to switch to electric cars, however, they cry when there are power outages.

Government is about to stick a lot of money to upgrade our electrical grid, not sure how they can afford it.

source

For a very far distance drive, an electric car isn't best suited for it. It's a big downside with having one of them.

Back