froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it would be cool if Microsoft or some other company like Google, Apple, Steam, etc made a cheap operating system which cost a few dollars or gave it away for free to PC gamers to use as their computer operating system for playing games. But, the OS does not have as many features like Internet Explorer, MS Paint, Notepad, WordPad, File Back up software, Remote Desktop, Aero, and other software and features which most Gamers use when they game. It also might make the operating system lighter/run faster, and use less CPU, RAM, and hard drive space, so games run a little faster, and your hard drive have more space for games on the hard drive.

This just won't work. To play a lot of games you need to have access to Internet Explorer and notepad should be needed for config files. Who'd buy such a thing?

I think it would be cool if Microsoft or some other company like Google, Apple, Steam, etc made a cheap operating system which cost a few dollars or gave it away for free to PC gamers to use as their computer operating system for playing games. But, the OS does not have as many features like Internet Explorer, MS Paint, Notepad, WordPad, File Back up software, Remote Desktop, Aero, and other software and features which most Gamers use when they game. It also might make the operating system lighter/run faster, and use less CPU, RAM, and hard drive space, so games run a little faster, and your hard drive have more space for games on the hard drive.

Well there kind of already is an OS like this, well a few. The problem is and would be the game making companies would have to make the games work on it. Which they won't do because windows has the most market share which means the most money for them.

This just won't work. To play a lot of games you need to have access to Internet Explorer and notepad should be needed for config files. Who'd buy such a thing?

There are plenty of free and open source software which are good internet explorer alternatives like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. For Notepad, there is Notepad++ which you can use to edit text and config files you can download at SourceForge, and Download.com

I think if it cost under 50 dollars or less, people will buy a Windows based operating system which just comes with the Windows Desktop, DirectX, the needed basic programs to run games, and an App store for downloading free and paid software and games from the internet, so they can pay for new software as they need it rather then paying hundreds to buy bundled software, and features that come with the operating system, but never use, or rather not use because of better 3rd party software like Auslogic Disk Defrag, Diskeeper vs the default disk defrag in Windows which is kind of less feature rich, and not as well designed.

There are people and company that use Windows Compact Edition because of its cheaper licensing cost, low system requirements, and fast boot time, so they choose Windows CE rather then more expensive versions of Windows like 7 Professional, Home Premium. I think it would be cool if MS made a Gaming Edition of Windows like CE, but sell it at a super low price or give it away for free to consumers.

IE can be considered free if you don't count the price of Windows needed to buy, but I think the cost of IE gets bundled/hidden into the cost of Windows.

IE is proprietary since the code is only available to Microsoft employees, and not the public while Firefox, and Google Chrome web browser are based on free and open source web browser projects which anyone with coding experience can volunteer, and contribute their code to help improve the web browser.

Firefox is created by thousands of people around the world working together to build a better Internet. If you're already a member of the community, thank you for everything you've done. If you're new to Mozilla, feel free to get involved—you don’t have to be a C++ guru (or even know what that means!) to contribute.

http://www.mozilla.o...ojects/firefox/

The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the
Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively. This site houses the documentation and code related to the Chromium projects and is intended for developers interested in learning about and contributing to the open-source projects.
http://www.chromium.org/

Oh I get your point now. By the way, what's that compact edition of Windows? I've never heard of it before. Is it available to us consumers?

I think you need to be a netbook or phone manufacturer, or contact Microsoft Directly to buy the install disc for CE. It only cost $3 per device according to http://news.cnet.com/2100-1016_3-1000244.html

Windows CE comes bundled with netbooks and smaller computers or phones which cost $99 dollars or less which you can buy at CVS pharmacy, and discount stores.

I'm not kidding, it actually cost $3 for manufactures to use to put on their devices according to Cnet.

Modders/hackers use Windows CE operating system for emulating older games like Playstation, Street fighter, Sonic, and Mario with an Emulator software for Windows CE and ROMS :cool: to make a Windows CE based handheld gaming system.

Windows CE can also be used as a smartphone operating system, so App makers can code apps for it.

If Microsoft wants to, I think they can turn Windows CE into a gaming operating system for Handhelds to compete with the PSP, Nintendo DS, and other mobile gaming systems. But, I think they won't since it might make people just buy Windows CE on a faster netbook, and not buy their more expensive Xbox 360, Zune HD and Windows Phone 7 products for gaming since the system requirements for Windows CE are low.

Lol that's impressive but not much different than Win 8 CP imo in that case. I'm guessing the CE can't support steam...

I think it would be better to have a larger HDD like 1TB or so and a good enough RAM and graphics card instead of using a OS which even doesn't have basic functions. I think that most of the gamers these days not only use their PC for gaming but also for other tasks like watching movies, surfing the net etc. So I don't think that an OS that wouldn't have pretty much of the basic functions will be popular among the gamers.

Well you could make a light weight Linux Operating system, But then that doesn't suport too many games.
Notepad and a browser are small things that dont matter...

I think Windows 8 can be a good Windows operating system for gaming if you don't mind the new User interface since it uses only 281 MB RAM and 1% CPU when idle, and has only 29 running processes in the background according to a screen shot I saw online of its task manager. I think if you disable System Restore, Remote Desktop, and other un-needed features which are not needed to use Windows 8, and switch to the Classic theme in Windows the amount of RAM used by Windows 8 might even drop to 250MB or less.

Windows 8 kinds of make Windows 7 bloated and slower in the screenshot below since Windows 8 uses a lot less RAM then 7, and uses less CPU cycles when Idle according to the CPU and RAM graphs in Task Manager.

1zq9b94.jpg

Back