Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

We knew it was coming, missing from Nintendo's main E3 show but later revealed in their treehouse lineup. Comes a remake of Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga which also includes an additional story called Bowser's Minions. It's due out October 6th for 3DS handhelds.

The Bowser’s Minions part is a new storyline starring enemy characters. Nintendo describes it as: Recruit characters to grow your own Minion army as you fight to locate your missing leader.

Nintendo says that Bowser’s Minions is a lengthy game on its own, and not just a brief bonus experience. It’s a strategy game in which you build up a group of classic Mario enemy characters, form troop battalions, and take them into a series of battles in which you can give different general orders. It’s the same pixel artwork from the original game, but it’s been updated with 3D lighting.

It looks great and I love Superstar Saga, but Mario & Luigi RPG's have this charm where they're only playable once. That doesn't mean they're bad or anything, it's just, all the surprise is gone and RPG's are hard for me to play more than once, even though it's a remake.

I know Nintendo said that Bowser's Minions is a lengthy game, but I don't know if it would be worth getting if I were just getting the game for that.

It looks great and I love Superstar Saga, but Mario & Luigi RPG's have this charm where they're only playable once. That doesn't mean they're bad or anything, it's just, all the surprise is gone and RPG's are hard for me to play more than once, even though it's a remake.

I know Nintendo said that Bowser's Minions is a lengthy game, but I don't know if it would be worth getting if I were just getting the game for that.

I'm sure reviews will let folks like you if the extra part is worth the entire game or not. I've never played this so I'm in for the full experience.

I am actually looking forward to this. I wasn't able to play the original when it came out (I'm not sure why I don't have it). But I think I will get this game when I comes out in October, especially since I like my 3DS so much.

I am actually looking forward to this. I wasn't able to play the original when it came out (I'm not sure why I don't have it). But I think I will get this game when I comes out in October, especially since I like my 3DS so much.

well if you're reasons are like mine, you either didn't have the money to buy it or by the time you could the game was hard to come by.

well if you're reasons are like mine, you either didn't have the money to buy it or by the time you could the game was hard to come by.
Dang that stinks. It was a really awesome game when my brother and I got it for the GBA. He picked it out since he was into the gaming news at a young age and knew what to expect. We were both really immersed in the game and had our share of laughs with the lines.

Not sure what to feel about the Bowser's Minions mode. It seems fun from what they showed on Treehouse Live. But, it seems a bit too grindy to me.

That was probably it, DS. I probably didn't have the money when the game came out and by the time I did, I couldn't find the game anywhere.

I don't like the NA box art in comparison to the EU box art. The EU Box art pays homage to the original GBA boxart which I love.

I shouldn't complain considering EU usually gets releases later than NA.

Funny enough, we actually got the last two Mario & Luigi games earlier over here. For example, I played Paper Jam in late 2015 whereas Americans got it in early 2016, and managed to get Dream Team a full month before the US too. It was quite amusing too, since it meant I could post a ton of interesting articles and videos for the games, whereas the likes of GameXplain were stuck under an oppressive NDA!

But that's not happening here. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions is being released on October 6th in both the US and Europe, with Japan potentially it getting it later.

As for the box art... well it's not surprising the EU one is better. The EU one seems to be closer to the original game's box art, which itself looked amazing:

Superstars.PNG

Unfortunately, modern Mario & Luigi games (and the US/Japanese box art for this one) are closer to the Japanese style of box art. Aka a bunch of characters on a white background without a lot of detail.

Have they made anything other than spin-offs, sequels, reboots, etc; of the Mario universe? I swear they're just riding the game's coattails - even though Mario IS the most famous video game character of all time - but it's 2017, they're still trying to make new stuff for a character that's been around for nearly 40 years at this point. Mario Kart, Mario adventures, Mario golf, Doctor Mario, Mario the pig slayer from outer space? What's next? Try something new perhaps?

I mean they did make a Mario Typing game. Time for a reboot of that. :p
Sometimes a good box art makes me want to pick up a game and flip to the back and read about it. It's just like a book. But I guess the same don't judge a book by its cover applies too.

Back