Full GL Member
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
read from CBR:

Tim Burton originally meant to follow up Batman Returns with another chapter in the life of the Dark Knight, only for financial problems with the film, including some major ones stemming from McDonald's, to derail everyone's plans.

Burton directed 1989's Batman and 1992's Batman Returns, both featuring Michael Keaton in the title role. The first film was a financial juggernaut, becoming a genuine cultural touchstone in little time. Fusing the classic comics character with Burton's gothic sensibilities and style, the sequel to the film was quickly moved into production. And as part of the lead-up to the sequel's release, Warner Bros. made a deal with the fast-food giant McDonald's to produce Happy Meal Toys to coincide with the film.

However, that plan backfired for Warner Bros. and McDonald's when Batman Returns premiered. Although the dark take on Batman, Catwoman and Penguin was considered a commercial and critical success, it ultimately made $150 million less than its predecessor at the box office, with negative word of mouth slowing the film's success. And to make things worse, the toy deals -- especially with McDonald's -- had caused controversy among the general public. Parents across America objectified the openly sexual Batman Returns being marketed primarily to kids. In fact, the situation reached such a fervor that McDonald's ordered a recall of their Happy Meal tie-in, which had painted a far cheerier and colorful version of the film.

Unwilling to lose their deals with companies like McDonald's, Warner Bros. fired Burton from the next installment in the series, which would eventually become Batman Forever.

Tim Burton on the Bad bat nipples lol, from CBR:

Burton remarked on the sharp, cartoonish turn the original Batman film series took with 1995's neon-lit Batman Forever. Specifically, Burton called out the comparatively goofy tone embraced by director Joel Schumacher, saying, "[Back then] they went the other way. That's the funny thing about it." He continued, "But then I was like, 'Wait a minute. Okay. Hold on a second here. You complain about me, I'm too weird, I'm too dark, and then you put nipples on the costume? Go fuck yourself.' Seriously. So yeah, I think that's why I didn't end up [doing a third film]."

Back