Microphone recommendations?

Sharon

Full GL Member
Credits
At some point I'd like to do a podcast and/or narration of some sort. I'm in the market for a nice microphone. I've been looking at the Shure MV7 or the AudioTechnica AT2020 ...and possibly an interface. I heard that having a proper microphone can improve your clarity for conference calls/zoom meetings. I've no experience with owning a microphone though and am in the preliminary stage of research. Do you guys have any advice?

I do not currently, but about a week from now that's gonna change. Some friends of mine have it, and they are very pleased with it, and from what I've seen, it's definitely gonna work better for me than my Røde mic is currently. The Shure needs to be closer to your source of sound (aka mouth) to pick it up well, but imo that's good. it mitigates a lot of keyboard clicks and background noise that the Røde is crazy good at picking up, which is terrible for me when I try to make videos for youtube.

And hey, I heard Michael Jackson recorded some of his hits on one of it's predecessors.

That's interesting! I will definitely keep it as one of my top contenders. I'm wondering if it's important to have a interface and does it matter which one? I see reviewers talk about the Scarlett Interface.

I believe it is an XLR microphone, and in that sense you can't just plug it directly into your computer - you need a "middle man". Myself I have the scarlett interface, which I use for various studio microphones, and for recording my el-guitar onto the computer directly without having to use a microphone by the amplifier. In a guitar sense it has it's limitations, but it's a good interface.

Thanks for the insight TheFjordFox TheFjordFox I will seriously consider the Scarlett interface. At this rate I'd be looking at around $370 before accessories and taxes. Yikes! It's adding up and it's hard to bite the bullet knowing it's not going to make me any money. lol

The Shure MV7 also works via USB, so you don’t need an interface. You can also save $150 and just get a Blue Yeti, which is also a popular mic for voiceovers.

Let’s be honest, the audio quality difference between USB and XLR is pretty negligible for podcasting. The majority of people also aren’t really gonna notice much of any difference between the MV7 and a Blue Yeti anyway.

Valid point Grungie. So much to consider. I must say that I may be leaning towards the better quality because I plan on dabbling into podcasting but also would like to create my own music as well down the line. I rather have the correct equipment now and learn how to use them rather than want to upgrade later on.

Valid point Grungie. So much to consider. I must say that I may be leaning towards the better quality because I plan on dabbling into podcasting but also would like to create my own music as well down the line. I rather have the correct equipment now and learn how to use them rather than want to upgrade later on.
If you wanna get into music, the Shure SM58 is very popular for that, and is basically an industry standard. It’s also cheaper than the MV7. Though unlike the MV7, it does require an XLR interface.

Either way, learning the equipment is almost identical for both. It’s really just a gain knob that controls the input of the mic. The only difference is that the USB mics have it on the mic, whereas XLR mics have it on the interface. Everything else is done through the DAW, so it’s irrelevant what mic you use at that point.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that all the mics mentioned are perfectly capable of doing what you want at different price points, and there’s no “correct” answer. There are people who can make amazing results with a Blue Yeti, and that all boils down to your mixing/mastering skills.

I use the AT2020 mic myself for all my recent content, have it hooked up through an old focusrite sapphire audio interface (the predecessor to the scarlett). I've used USB and XLR mics and I've gotta say, XLR is the way to go. If you want plug and play USB will definitely get the job done. If you want more control over your sound, get an XLR mic with an audio interface.

I use the AT2020 mic myself for all my recent content, have it hooked up through an old focusrite sapphire audio interface (the predecessor to the scarlett). I've used USB and XLR mics and I've gotta say, XLR is the way to go. If you want plug and play USB will definitely get the job done. If you want more control over your sound, get an XLR mic with an audio interface.
I don’t get the “more control” argument. Some of the interfaces like a Scarlet just have a gain knob, which a lot of the USB mics have.

I don’t get the “more control” argument. Some of the interfaces like a Scarlet just have a gain knob, which a lot of the USB mics have.
I suppose that would depend entirely on the audio interface being used. The XLR mics certainly have less interference to deal with than the USB mics though.

I suppose that would depend entirely on the audio interface being used. The XLR mics certainly have less interference to deal with than the USB mics though.
She’s looking at getting a Scarlet interface, so there’s really just a gain knob on it, and a headphone monitor knob, but the latter can be done in a DAW. So at that point, it’s kind of like, what do you want to afford or can afford.

With interference, it kind of depends, the USB mics have come a long way. If it was 10 years ago, I’d tell you to stay far away from USB mics. The quality has increased a lot. I have one of each, and haven’t heard any interference on it. My older recordings sounding worse had a lot more to do with the mixing/mastering than the actual mic.

The other thing to consider, is that more serious people will either notice things or have needs that noobs won’t have for quite awhile. So they suggest things that they probably won’t need.

Thank you for all of the information and insight. I decided to move forward with the Shure M7 with no interface for now. I look forward to diving in!

Grungie Grungie So I've had this mic about 24 hours and I already having a blast with it. I downloaded the free software Audacity - AMAZING. I forgot how time flies though while messing with projects like this.

Nice, I personally am not a fan of Audacity. It’s not a bad software, but it’s too restrictive for what I do.

I haven't messed with it enough to incorporate tracks or instruments, it's been strictly vocal stuff. It's been a blast! I can only imagine short 15-20 minute sessions so far.

Back