Microsoft confirms Windows 10 tried to secretly install itself on old machines by mistake

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
This Forbes article brings us the news that Microsoft recently confirmed that Windows 10 secretly installed itself on older computers that were still running Windows 7 and Windows 8. Apparently, it all started in August when the company rolled out an automatic update to Windows 7 and Windows 8 that triggered the installations.

This didn’t happen to all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, of course, but some saw Windows 10 boot up unexpectedly on their machines, while others discovered numerous counts of installation attempts in their Windows update history that were blocked by user preferences. Some users also confirmed that Windows 10 tried to install itself dozens of times.

Microsoft identified the bug that turns Windows 10 into an automatic install, and says it should be fixed now.

This means many Windows 7 and Windows 8 users might soon find themselves running Windows 10 without even wanting it.

Read More

I am disappointed in Microsoft for releasing this Windows Update with a software bug which force updated people's older Windows 7 and 8.1 computer to Windows 10 instead of making it an optional install.

I imagine people who got this automatic installation to Windows 10 is frustrated with Microsoft for accidentally forcing them to automatically upgrade to Windows 10, and wasting their time for something they would not want because their computer is too slow for Windows 10, or they don't like 10. Users also probably wasted a lot of time uninstalling Windows 10, and re-installing Windows 7 or 8.1.

Plus, a lot of internet users are still on limited internet packages with bandwidth limits, and expensive overage fees, so this accidental update may of made people pay expensive overage fees for going over their monthly data limit especially if they used a mobile 3G-4G LTE internet connection from a cell phone provider.

These Windows Update problems I am reading about on the news is making me less likely to buy any new Windows computer, laptop, or tablet since I don't want to experience these problems.

Mistake or not, the huge thing about this is that they can install W10 on your machine at anytime they want to. That is concerning.

Mistake or not, the huge thing about this is that they can install W10 on your machine at anytime they want to. That is concerning.

I agree this is concerning. What is most concerning is that the install did not even ask if people want to Install Windows 10 like other Software for Windows Updates like Skype, and Bing Toolbar where you need to agree to give MS permission to install programs like Skype.

I wonder if MS can even install Windows 10, and other software even if you disabled automatic Windows Updates in the settings for Windows Updates.

If a hacker hacks the Windows Update server, they could automatically install a virus like a ransomware viruses which locks you out of your PC, threaten to expose your personal info, and files online unless you pay them hundreds to thousands of dollars.

I remember my father warning me about this quite some time ago, but I didn't know it "was a bug".

You can't trust anything or anyone these days when it comes to computers.

Back