Microsoft is cutting Windows 8.1 prices to $15 for $250 PC to compete with Google Android, Chrome OS

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
At present, it's tricky to make Windows PCs that cost as little as basic Android tablets and Chromebooks. While Microsoft charges vendors $50 to use Windows, Google often gives its software away.

The crew in Redmond may have found a way to narrow the price gap, though. Bloomberg claims that Microsoft is cutting Windows 8.1's license fee to $15 for any device that sells for less than $250, letting builders offer very cheap Windows PCs without destroying their profits.

Read More

$15 is a low price for a Windows License compared to the regular $50 price for PC builders. I wonder would the $35 savings for buyers convince people to buy a $250 Windows 8.1 PC instead of buying a Google Chromebook, Android, or Linux PC where the OS is free, and the buyer just pay for the computer.

It's great to see that the cost of paid operating systems becoming more affordable.

I don't see many $250 Windows PCs for sale, so I'm guessing this deal is mainly for netbooks, cheaper desktops and laptops, and smaller tablets.

I guest this is good news for people who just need a cheap Windows computer for  basic software like MS Office, Internet Explorer, and other Windows exclusive software which is not available on other operating systems like Mac, Linux, Android, and Chrome OS.

Another thank you to Google for driving the competitive pricing. This is only a win for the consumer. Considering the capabilities of these 'cheaper' computers its honestly not much of a loss for Microsoft in my opinion, it would probably just help them sell even mroe and stay competitive themselves. 

that is pretty good, glad there is a company like Google driving the prices down.

Back