froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft has confirmed plans to kill its Skype application for TV later this year. While the company defends the app’s “great calling experience,” it explains it is dropping it to focus its efforts in other areas.

Skype has been available on a wide range of TVs from Samsung, Sony, Sharp, LG, Panasonic, and others in recent years. But most Skype users choose to do their video calling on mobile devices instead, Microsoft says.

So, to improve the experience and add new functionality to those mobile apps, Microsoft is dropping Skype for TVs to free up the resources.

Read More

I think one of the reasons that few people use Skype for TV is because of the wide viewing angles of a TV where the video chatter can see the Skype TV caller's entire body, and the back of the entire room, The TV callers head looks smaller because the caller is sitting farther away from the TV unlike a desktop and mobile device where people sit closer.

The sound quality of video calls made from a TV is probably not very good because people sit farther away from the microphone on the TV. The microphone is not closer to the person's mouth, so the mic on the TV may pick up sounds from other people in the room, and sounds surrounding the TV.

I bet, a lot of smart TVs which use Skype are now outdated, and slow for higher quality video calls because people keep use their TVs for many years. Newer versions of Skype may not run as fast on older smart TVs with a slower processor, less RAM, and slower storage.

I personally feel skype on PC and game consoles/handhelds is all thats needed.

I personally feel skype on PC and game consoles/handhelds is all thats needed.

Skype could also be useful for tablets, and smartphones since most tablets, and smartphones have video cameras, and you can also use Skype to instant message people.

Back