Xbox Microsoft Lays Off 10,000 People, Cuts Reportedly Include Xbox And Bethesda

DaBoss38

Staff member
Awards
Credits
Username Style
From GameSpot:

Microsoft is cutting more jobs this week, with CEO Satya Nadella confirming 10,000 layoffs during what the executive described as "times of significant change." The job losses reportedly affect people at Xbox and Bethesda, in addition to Microsoft's wider teams at large.

In a memo to staff, Nadella said the 10,000 layoffs--which amount to less than 5% of the company's total workforce of more than 220,000--will take place beginning today, January 18, through the end of its third quarter of fiscal year 2023. According to The New York Times, Microsoft hired more than 75,000 people since 2019 to help meet demand for the growing interest in online services and cloud computing due to the onset of the pandemic.

This is just the latest round of layoffs at Microsoft, as Nadella eliminated around 25,000 jobs between 2014 and 2015 as a result of abandoning the company's Nokia business.

"It's important to note that while we are eliminating roles in some areas, we will continue to hire in key strategic areas. We know this is a challenging time for each person impacted. The senior leadership team and I are committed that as we go through this process, we will do so in the most thoughtful and transparent way possible," Nadella said.

The CEO did not say which departments within Microsoft are affected, but Bloomberg reported that Microsoft's Xbox and Bethesda divisions are affected in some capacity. A spokesperson for Microsoft declined to comment about if the layoffs affected Xbox when approached by GameSpot. Bloomberg's Jason Schrier noted that several employees indicated Halo Infinite developer "343 Industries was hit hard."

Read more: GameSpot: Microsoft Lays Off 10,000 People, Cuts Reportedly Include Xbox And Bethesda

I hope they can find good jobs elsewhere in the field. I can imagine some jobs can be fulfilled elsewhere.

I hope they can find good jobs elsewhere in the field. I can imagine some jobs can be fulfilled elsewhere.
Me too and I'm sure they will find a new job somewhere as seems like everyone is hiring!

As early as the new year just started, and so much workers are dumped into a state of uncertainty. It's really hurting and horrible.

It's not a good news to be laid off at work. I can't even wrap my head around what the workers will do next. 10, 000 is a lot of numbers.

Phil Spencer on the layoffs:

This has been a difficult week across Microsoft, and here, inside our teams. Now that many of the 1:1 and team conversations have happened, I want to take a moment to reiterate the message that you heard from your leaders.

This is a challenging moment in our business, and this week’s actions were painful choices. The Gaming Leadership Team had to make decisions that we felt set us up for the long-term success of our products and business, but the individual results of those decisions are real. I know that hurts. Thank you for supporting our colleagues as they process these changes.

Over the coming weeks we will have many opportunities to connect and answer your questions, including the Monthly Gaming Update next week for teams who attend that meeting, and I am in close contact with teams at ZeniMax to provide support. The GLT and I are committed to being as transparent as we can. Moving forward with ambiguity is challenging, but I am confident that together, we will get through this difficult moment in time.

Xbox has a long history of success thanks to the work you do in service of players, creators, and each other. Your work is so deeply appreciated and valued in these times of change and is integral to our business momentum. I am confident in our future and proud to be part of this team, but also conscious that this is a challenging time and I want to thank you for everything you do here.

Phil

Back