Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from tweaktown:

According to MSPowerUser, Outlook users on the aforementioned operating system versions will now be required to download and install Microsoft Edge to access Outlook emails. The move is certainly a strange one, with some users expressing concerns that Microsoft is forcing adoption of its internet browser in an attempt to increase Edge's dwindling market share. However, it remains unclear if the requirement was intentional or simply a technical requirement to run the updated version of Outlook.

The requirement was first noticed by Reddit users who were shown the above error message, which reads, "The new Outlook for Windows needs Microsoft Edge to be installed". Reports indicate that the culprit of the problem can be traced back to Outlook using Microsoft Edge Webview 2 for specific web functions. While the majority of Outlook users will already have Edge installed on their device, a portion of users who decided to uninstall the browser due to deeming it bloatware will have to reinstall it to access their emails via Outlook.

I feel forcing users to use Microsoft Edge to use Outlook can cause future problems for users if the users are too used to use Chrome, and Firefox user interface, and not familiar with how to use Microsoft Edges features and user interface,

Not shocked, the 'New' outlook is hot garbage as it is nothing more than the web version on the desktop. Which if they don't get 3rd party support going for it, I'm really going to hate my job.
In my company, most users use the old Outlook

Microsoft: You can uninstall whichever you don't need it
few days later
le microsoft: you still need our services to use other services of us

*Laughs in Thunderbird for Windows, and FairEmail for Android*

But really, isn't this a repeat of what they did before they got into trouble over IE way back in the day?

I am pretty sure they got into big trouble for that too..

If you want people to use your software, find out why they prefer to use the others and then give them a reason to want to do so.. don't force their hand..

It seems like history only repeats itself when the people fail to learn the lessons behind it..

Last edited:
Ive been using Chrome to get on Outlook.

This is why some of these big companies need competition. This is very similar to how Meta used to make it mandatory for people to have a facebook account in order to use their oculus rift. Even though facebook being mandatory has been stopped, the fact that it was even a thing is an issue.

It's not a big deal for me because I don't use EDGE or Outlook and I don't plan on using either one of them. And to top it off, I HATE being forced to use things, so ill never use outlook.

Back