froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
What Microsoft says and what Microsoft does are two very different things. Granted, it hasn't actually committed to a solid smartphone hardware business, but it hasn't completely discounted that future either. But if there were any doubt that Microsoft doesn't really have smartphones in mind, as far as devices are concerned, this revelation of nearly 3,000 job cuts should probably banish all that. And with that employee exodus, Microsoft has practically rid itself of the Nokia smartphone business that it acquired two years ago to the tune of $7.2 billion.

Read More

It is unfortunate that almost 3000 workers would be jobless. Hopefully, the 3000 workers can find other jobs at other phone companies like LG, Blackberry, Samsung, and Apple.

That is a bad layoff, that many affect many people coming out of school and needing work.

That is a bad layoff, that many affect many people coming out of school and needing work.

I think Microsoft is not hiring as many people for their Windows Phone operating system these days, and now mostly hire new workers for Windows 10, Bing, Outlook, and MS Office.

These layoffs will more likely affect more experienced workers who have been working on Windows Phone for many years. But, the recently layoff workers from Windows Phone may have a better chance of getting hired for other tech-related jobs because they have more experience.

People coming out of school will more likely apply for entry-level/simpler jobs like software testing, and technical support.

According to a tech employment related video I watched, and conversations with an employment office worker, some companies don't want to hire workers who are over-qualified for a job because workers who are over-qualified are more likely to leave when they find a better job, or have a poor work attitude where they don't listen to the boss and do their task their own way, or act like "they are too good for this job, and they know how to do things better than other workers and the boss" when working at lower paying, and simpler jobs. Some older workers also don't like being managed by a younger boss or manager which can happen when they work at newer companies or entry level work where a younger worker is promoted to manager.

I think Microsoft is not hiring as many people for their Windows Phone operating system these days, and now mostly hire new workers for Windows 10, Bing, Outlook, and MS Office.

These layoffs will more likely affect more experienced workers who have been working on Windows Phone for many years. But, the recently layoff workers from Windows Phone may have a better chance of getting hired for other tech-related jobs because they have more experience.

People coming out of school will more likely apply for entry-level/simpler jobs like software testing, and technical support.

According to a tech employment related video I watched, and conversations with an employment office worker, some companies don't want to hire workers who are over-qualified for a job because workers who are over-qualified are more likely to leave when they find a better job, or have a poor work attitude where they don't listen to the boss and do their task their own way, or act like "they are too good for this job, and they know how to do things better than other workers and the boss" when working at lower paying, and simpler jobs. Some older workers also don't like being managed by a younger boss or manager which can happen when they work at newer companies or entry level work where a younger worker is promoted to manager.

The people fired though may have to go after the entry level job to get work though.

The people fired though may have to go after the entry level job to get work though.

I agree some of the people who are fired may have to go after entry level work if they previously worked at an entry level job before, or there are fewer higher-level jobs which are available.

There would be some fired workers who may have to go back to school for re-training because their Windows Phone tech skills is less useful now because most phone users and companies like app makers and phone makers now use Google Android, iOS as their mobile operating system for making apps, or installing on phones.

The workers who need re-training will probably apply for entry level work like most of their classmate when they finish their training.

This really pisses me off. Oh well, my next smartphone will be an iPhone. I gave Microsoft enough chances to get their act together in regards to Windows Phone.

I think a lot of early users who bought Windows Phone, Blackberry, and Web OS fell disappointed by the lack of apps, games, and support for their device.

But, most users these days either use an iPhone or Google Android smartphone, so app makers now just mainly make apps for the two biggest smartphone operating systems because of their huge user base.

Back