froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft hasn’t officially pulled the plug on Windows Phone hardware yet, but things aren’t looking particularly good: during the company’s second-quarter earnings call Microsoft Chief Financial Officer Amy Hood went over the revenue generated by different parts of the company. When it came to Windows Phone devices she said to expect a decline due to “negligible revenue from Phone.”

And by negligible, she means revenue was down $730 million from the same period in 2016… and Neowin points out that means the company probably made just about $5 million from Microsoft-branded phone sales between Jan 1st and March 31st, 2017.

Read More

I guest, having low revenue is better than no revenue which caused a loss of earnings where they spent more money making and advertising Windows phones, and earn less money from selling phones.

I wonder if some of the remaining people who choose to buy a Windows Phone in 2017 thought they can run desktop PC programs like Photoshop on their Windows phone, so they bought a Windows Phone instead of a iPhone or Google Android smartphone which has more apps.

Low might as well be nothing. Either way, people's jobs are at risk.

Low might as well be nothing. Either way, people's jobs are at risk.

I agree low can mean nothing to a company the size of Microsoft.

I think the future of Windows Phone workers is not looking good in 2017 when I read news reports of the Windows Store selling an Android phone which is the Samsung Galaxy S8 loaded with pre-installed Microsoft apps like MS Office, Outlook, OneDrive and Skype, and the sales of Windows Phone is so low where it is close to being invisible compared to Android and iOS.

Windows Phone workers who know how to make Google Android, and Apple iOS mobile apps may more likely be employed at Microsoft because Microsoft does have a lot of large iOS and Android compatible apps like MS Office and Skype which need to be updated on a regular basis.

Windows Phone workers who mostly have Windows Phone skills because they only know how to make Windows Phone apps, and operating system maybe more at risk for being layoff from MS. Windows Phone is becoming highly unpopular where the OS maybe discontinued within a few months or a year if almost all remaining Windows Phone users continue switching to Android or iPhone in a few month, and there are very few people choosing to use Windows Phone, and stick with iOS, Android, or regular cell phones like flip cell phones.

Well, how many people do you know with a Windows Phone? It's a failure all around.

That said, I doubt too many people will lose their jobs over this. No one's stupid enough to only make Windows Phone apps at this point in time, so they can just fall back to their (likely) iOS/Android app development skills instead. And while some Windows employees may not like what happens if it's discontinued... well that's just unfortunate at this point. Sorry, things likely aren't turning around for it any time soon!

Well, how many people do you know with a Windows Phone? It's a failure all around.

That said, I doubt too many people will lose their jobs over this. No one's stupid enough to only make Windows Phone apps at this point in time, so they can just fall back to their (likely) iOS/Android app development skills instead. And while some Windows employees may not like what happens if it's discontinued... well that's just unfortunate at this point. Sorry, things likely aren't turning around for it any time soon!

I know 0 people who use Windows Phone in real life.

It can be disappointing for some of the people who spent a lot of time, and money on learning how to make Windows Phone apps, or making Windows Phone version of their Android and iOS apps, and see Windows Phone doing so poorly. I think most of the people who made Windows Phone Apps may have moved onto iOS and Android, and web browser apps made with HTML5, CSS, Java, Javascript, and Flash where you can use the apps inside a web browser, or inside an app which is a web browser which display their web app.

Operating Systems fading away is not uncommon since a lot of big OS like Nokia's Symbian, Blackberry OS, HP's Web OS, and Palm are all gone.

Hopefully, most of the Windows Phone's remaining staff are learning other tech skills, so they have skills to fallback on whenever Windows Phone is discontinued, so they are not left with mostly Windows Phone skills which are no longer useful when Windows Phone is gone.

Last edited:
Back