froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft may soon be the focus of an investigation by South Korean regulators into allegations that the software giant is fixing prices in the region. According to a report from ZDNet Korea, senior officials that represent an alliance of Internet cafes in South Korea called the “Internet PC Culture Association” will ask South Korea’s Fair Trade Commission to investigate the Redmond, Washington-based company.

“We plan to sue Microsoft to the Fair Trade Commission for its one-way selling policy and uncompromising stance against us by using its position as the dominant player,” a senior IPCA official told ZDNet Korea. Another official said the purchase price of Microsoft’s Windows operating system is often as high as the PCs themselves.

Read More

It's good to see that South Korea is using the law to sue for fairer prices for their people instead of just being ripped off by paying too much money for Windows.

Wow, Windows costs as much as a new PC in South Korea. I can see now why Windows is pirated so much in China, India, and other countries where many people are poor. I bet one of the reasons that computer sales are slowing down is because of the high cost of Windows which makes buying a PC in South Korea, and other countries more expensive than it has to be.

I think Linux, Chrome OS, and Android would eventually be more popular in countries like South Korea where  Windows cost as much as a PC since by using a free operating system, the buyer would save 50% or  more money vs buying a Windows PC.

Microsoft definitely creates a large pirating market because of the way they price their OSs. This is their fault, and honestly I'm glad someone is calling them out on it. I have multiple computers that haev crashed and it is cheaper just to go buy a new one than buy a Windows OS to throw on it.

The high price of Windows may also be one of the reasons for the increase of computer waste in the garbage since for a little bit more money or the same amount of money like in S. Korea, buyers can buy a better $250-299 computer or laptop which comes with a new copy of Windows which cost $120-200+ depending on the version if you buy the install disc alone.

There are also good used Windows 7 computers which cost $100 on eBay, Amazon, and thirft sores. Some used computers have better specs than some new cheaper laptops and desktops which use Intel Atom and Celeron CPU.

Back