Microsoft to sell Samsung’s new Google Android phone (with MS apps)

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Paul Thurrott reports you’ll be able to buy a customized version of the Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ from Microsoft retail stores soon.

The phones will feature all the software and features you’d get if you bought elsewhere. But when you set up the phones, you’ll also get Microsoft apps, including:

Cortana
Office
OneDrive
Outlook

read more

I wonder would these Samsung phones with Microsoft Android Apps like Office will cost less than the regular S8.

I think some users will root these phones, and install a custom ROM to get rid of Cortana, Office, OneDrive, and Outlook, and other unwanted apps which got bundled by Samsung and MS.

So I'm guessing Samsung needs Microsoft's name to push their products now?

Not sure what the point of this is to be honest. Could people not just buy it normally and install the Microsoft apps that they want separately?

So I'm guessing Samsung needs Microsoft's name to push their products now?

Microsoft has physical stores in the US, so Samsung would get more users if they have their phones on display at the Microsoft Store. Samsung had a lot of bad news of their boss bribing the former South Korean President with millions of dollars, and their exploding Smartphones like the Note 7, and a few other non-recalled smartphones like the Galaxy S7, so partnering with Microsoft may make people forget about Samsung's bad news since there is now more better news of Samsung who is partnering with Microsoft which is well known for making Xbox, Windows, and other popular products and services.

Not sure what the point of this is to be honest. Could people not just buy it normally and install the Microsoft apps that they want separately?

I think it is more for convenience of having a phone which comes pre-installed with Microsoft apps, so users can start using MS apps after signing into their phone, and they will save their data/bandwidth by not needing to manually download Outlook, Cortana, Office, and Onedrive which is many hundred MBs to GBs in size. Data/bandwidth for cell phones still cost a lot of money in some countries.

Plus, it maybe harder to uninstall Microsoft Apps if it is pre-installed on Android before you buy the phone, so people are less likely to remove MS apps where users may need to root a phone to uninstall some apps. If apps are harder to uninstall, some people maybe more likely to use Microsoft Apps on their Samsung Galaxy S8.

Reactions: Ash
Back