Modern gaming terms that annoy you and make no sense

KeThomas91

Awards
Credits
Having been a full on gamer for years I occasdionally dip in these days but get infuriated when reading steam reviews with everyone shoe horning in the latest nonsense words to demonstrate they are in the know, like being in on some obscure meme no one else gets because they never watched 29 seasons of dragonball XYZ in japanese....anyway

I'll start but feel free to add your own or get annoyed at me for slating your new favourite term and calling me names

Parkour - buck off! enough said, you basically mean running on rails right, thats it. Parkour! download iphone ringtones

Rogue* Like - The worst offender for me by a mile, constantly inserted into steam reviews, even google couldn't yeild a statisfactory explaination, well it does but bears no relation to how it gets used. So I asked a friends children to explain this to me. Its basically a game where if you die you start again, oh right you mean like a game! a game that you have to learn to play! Honestly I must be easily triggered, whenever I see this in a review I just want to slap these people jumping on this bandwagon, normal games require some special term now do they to distinguish them from waffle simulators I suppose?. Maybe I'm annoyed I'm not in the loop and old now..... :)

Rogue Lite! - No idea what this means, gets thrown around like confetti, I guess same as above but less rougelike?

Anyone else have any favourites?

Last edited:
Not sure if gaming related, but I hate how people are trying to re-purpose the word sick.

Rogue* Like - The worst offender for me by a mile, constantly inserted into steam reviews, even google couldn't yeild a statisfactory explaination, well it does but bears no relation to how it gets used. So I asked a friends children to explain this to me. Its basically a game where if you die you start again, oh right you mean like a game! a game that you have to learn to play! Honestly I must be easily triggered, whenever I see this in a review I just want to slap these people jumping on this bandwagon, normal games require some special term now do they to distinguish them from waffle simulators I suppose?. Maybe I'm annoyed I'm not in the loop and old now..... :)

Rogue Like is hardly a modern term, because it’s a genre spawned by the game Rogue, which came out in the 80’s. Basically it’s a turn based dungeon crawler with randomly generated floors, and you start all over when you die. There’s RPG elements like character levels and equipment altering stats. Death means you lose all your progress and start back at the first floor, as opposed to having save points or keeping your stats/equipment.

Idk how Steam uses it, but rogue light could refer to a randomly generated dungeon crawler, but without the permadeath.

Last edited:
Back