Full GL Member
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from CBR:

A new report has found that nearly 1 million households in the United Kingdom have been forced to cancel their streaming subscriptions to services like Netflix and Prime Video due to the rising cost of living.

Market research firm Kantar Worldpanel found that the number of British homes with at least one streaming subscription fell by 937,000 between January and September. Moreover, 234,000 UK homes have canceled their video streaming subscriptions in the last quarter. With rising costs, households are choosing to prioritize essentials like food and mortgage repayments overpaying for streaming services.

The report also highlighted Netflix's continued struggle to boost growth. The platform has had to cut staff and enforce other measures to revive its sales after reporting a subscriber decline for the first time in a decade. Forecasts suggest the streaming giant will only add 1 million new sign-ups once it releases its third-quarter figures.

Dominic Sunnebo, the global insight director at Kantar Worldpanel, explained that people are now focusing on saving their money. He said, "One million households have stopped streaming. The reason people are canceling is the need to save money. The most recent quarter saw two of the most anticipated releases of the year, they ranked as the top two most enjoyed pieces of subscription video-on-demand content during the period, and yet we still saw a continuation of the negative trend of the market getting smaller."

This is disappointing but nevertheless, something businesses like Netflix need to keep in mind. The needs outweigh the wants and the needs get expensive too.

I wonder if Netflix will lower subscription prices, so more lower income people can afford to use Netflix.

Hopefully, the cost of living becomes more affordable for most people, so most people can afford paying for entertainment like Netflix which shows can help people relax, and learn about new things by watching documentaries.

Many poor kids and adults would most likely become sad that they can no longer watch their favorite shows from Netflix because their family can no longer afford Netflix because of inflation.

I think its to do with Cost of living, increased competition and general unsatisfactory views on the content being put out. Netflix need to do better.

Times are tough, wonder if they are going back to cable tv.
People are cutting Neflix due to the recessing, and lack of appealing content compared to the competition. Cable costs significantly more than a Netflix subscription, so it wouldn’t make sense to cut Netflix and swap to cable if you’re pinching money.

The fact that families are cutting excess bills could also be a factor. I cut off a bunch of memberships and a few streaming services myself.

People are cutting Neflix due to the recessing, and lack of appealing content compared to the competition. Cable costs significantly more than a Netflix subscription, so it wouldn’t make sense to cut Netflix and swap to cable if you’re pinching money.

There are or should be cheap cable bundles people can still get for some entertainment. Plus I'm sure they got to have some way to get the King's speeches over there.

We cancelled our Netflix awhile ago. They kept upping their price & the shows went downhill for us. We have cable through our phone company, a bundle that includes internet, phone as well. Also included is some streaming services such as Peacock, Tubi.

There are or should be cheap cable bundles people can still get for some entertainment. Plus I'm sure they got to have some way to get the King's speeches over there.
They have the BBC tax, or just watch it online. Either way, cable is still more expensive than Netflix, which defeats the point of saving money by getting a more expensive bill.

They have the BBC tax, or just watch it online. Either way, cable is still more expensive than Netflix, which defeats the point of saving money by getting a more expensive bill.
I thought as much too. Netflix have been facing a lot of ups and downs lately. It's a big dig at their profits.

Back