Full GL Member
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from CBR

Netflix's co-CEO Reed Hastings during a quarterly earnings call that the company would consider plans for ad-supported plans "over the next year or two," and COO Greg Peters called the prospect of advertising "an exciting opportunity" for Netflix.

"Those who have followed Netflix know that I have been against the complexity of advertising, and a big fan of the simplicity of subscription," Hastings said. "But as much as I am a fan of that, I am a bigger fan of consumer choice. And allowing consumers who would like to have a lower price, and are advertising-tolerant get what they want, makes a lot of sense. Think of us as quite open to offering even lower prices with advertising as a consumer choice."

Hastings stated that Netflix's move toward advertising was inspired by competing streaming services. "It is pretty clear that it is working for Hulu, Disney is doing it, HBO did it. We don't have any doubt that it works,” Hastings continued, adding that Netflix will do something similar to Hulu's plan layer. However, Netflix's ad-backed tier would not include data tracking and ad-matching like other streaming services.

"In terms of the profit potential, definitely the online ad market has advanced, and now you don't have to incorporate all the information about people that you used to," Hastings said. "We can stay out of that, and really be focused on our members, creating that great experience."

Netflix also reported that it had lost 200 thousand subscribers despite the company's predictions that it would gain 2.5 million, citing reasons for the decrease such as password sharing and rival streaming services, among others. Overall, the company expects to lose two million more subscribers over the course of the current quarter, which lasts from April to June.

Netflix is laying off more employees, read from CNN:

"While we continue to invest significantly in the business, we made these adjustments so that our costs are growing in line with our slower revenue growth," a company spokesperson told CNN Business Thursday. "We are so grateful for everything they have done for Netflix and are working hard to support them through this difficult transition."

Thursday's layoffs impact around 3% of Netflix's workforce, which includes 11,000 full-time employees. The layoffs are also mostly taking place in the United States. Variety was the first to report the news.

This is good news for people who can't afford full price Netflix, and don't mind watching a few ads.

Netflix not making money is no surprise when it's just another streaming service and that of which one you still have to pay for.

I like Netflix but the quality has dipped a little recently, at least with the type of shows i watch.

We cancelled our subscription for Netflix awhile ago. We've had it since 2010. Started by removing the DVD portion. We can now get cable in our area through our phone company, & they offer other services i.e. Tubi, Peacock.
I don't watch much TV as it is. More in the winter. Netflix went downhill with what shows they were offering. Then they kept upping their price. Wasn't worth it.

Netflix loses 1 million subscribers, read from Tweaktown:

Netflix subscriber losses have more than quadrupled over Q1, new earnings reports have confirmed. The streaming giant lost 969,000 subscribers in its Q2 period, its largest reduction in subscribers to date. From January - June 2022, Netflix subscribers have dropped by over 1.1 million across the globe.

The company also says that its ad-based plans may be years away, and that it will continue experimenting with its paid sharing plans which require users to pay an extra fee to share their Netflix subscriptions with users in other households.

We're in the early stages of working to monetize the 100m+ households that are currently enjoying, but not directly paying for, Netflix. We know this will be a change for our members.

As such, we have launched two different approaches in Latin America to learn more. Our goal is to find an easy-to-use paid sharing offering that we believe works for our members and our business that we can roll out in 2023. We're encouraged by our early learnings and ability to convert consumers to paid sharing in Latin America.

It'll be fine in the short term since it's a separate tier. But it's not good news for the long term because they'll surely push the prices of the other tiers up

It'll be fine in the short term since it's a separate tier. But it's not good news for the long term because they'll surely push the prices of the other tiers up
And therefore give ads to higher tiers if need be.

Back