Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from CBR:

Warner Bros. and New Line will be journeying back to Middle-earth, with the studios jointly announcing that new films in The Lord of the Rings franchise are in the works.

Warner Bros. and New Line have closed a multi-year deal with Embracer Group AB, which holds the film, gaming, merchandise, theme parks and live productions rights to Lord of the Rings. Announced during Warner Bros. Discovery's recent investor call, the deal will allow Warner Bros. and New Line to develop new features based on J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit. The upcoming films are not expected to be remakes of the previous two film trilogies, but instead, will show fans of the franchise new corners of Middle-earth.

"Twenty years ago, New Line took an unprecedented leap of faith to realize the incredible stories, characters and world of The Lord of the Rings on the big screen. The result was a landmark series of films that have been embraced by generations of fans. But for all the scope and detail lovingly packed into the two trilogies, the vast, complex and dazzling universe dreamed up by J.R.R. Tolkien remains largely unexplored on film," said Warner Bros. film bosses Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy in a statement. "The opportunity to invite fans deeper into the cinematic world of Middle-earth is an honor, and we are excited to partner with Middle-earth Enterprises and Embracer on this adventure."

I may be mistaken, but I remember Peter Jackson saying that the original LOTR movies were a once-in-a-lifetime trilogy and never again would everything line up to recreate such a masterpiece. I kind of agree with him.

Granted, I will be in line to watch the movies as soon as they are out.

The Lord of the Rings has some great storylines so I can see how they would want to extend it further. I always enjoy a good backstory to characters. How they came to be, what prompted them on their journey, etc.

Okay. Because I've heard someone else say that they were rebooting the Lord of the Rings (can't remember where I heard that from tho).

Back