froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Lookout has noticed a trend toward Android malware that masquerades as a popular app, but quietly gets root-level access to your phone and buries itself deep in the operating system. If that happens, you're in serious trouble. Unless you can walk through loading a fresh ROM or carefully modify system files over ADB, it may be easier to just replace the device, or have your phone company reflash it -- a simple factory reset won't get the job done. Some of the bogus apps are little more than shells for ads, but others will work properly while they compromise your device.

Source

I think it is best to only install the apps you need from trustworthy app makers.

But, I do worry that trustworthy apps get hacked by scammers, or the app got sold to an untrustworthy individual like a scammer which changes the app to a malware app to scam people.

This is why you take back ups, so if you need to nuke your phone you can do it.

This is why you take back ups, so if you need to nuke your phone you can do it.

A factory reset does not remove this virus. You need to replace the ROM by loading a new ROM to your phone according to the article.

It maybe very hard to add a new ROM if this virus also disable the option to easily replace the ROM with a custom ROM. I bet custom versions of this virus may also disable to ability to easily root your device to add a custom ROM.

It was only a matter of time for a platform like android to get hit hard by malware.

I recall laughing how best buy employees used to peddle antivirus software to people for tablets a few years back, perhaps not the worst idea now looking at things. Though of course common sense is #1 with these things.

It was only a matter of time for a platform like android to get hit hard by malware.

I recall laughing how best buy employees used to peddle antivirus software to people for tablets a few years back, perhaps not the worst idea now looking at things. Though of course common sense is #1 with these things.

Antivirus software for tablets is not a bad idea for users who want to reduce their chance of getting a virus since there is still a chance of downloading an app or media file with a virus on it. A lot of antivirus programs also detect adware, and spyware apps which send a lot of ads, and spy on users too much.

But, I think most of the free antivirus programs for Android is usually good enough, and you can always pay a few dollars for the paid version. A lot of system utility programs like Clean Master, and Advance Mobile Care comes with an antivirus programs which users can use to protect their device from viruses.

Antivirus software for tablets is not a bad idea for users who want to reduce their chance of getting a virus since there is still a chance of downloading an app or media file with a virus on it. A lot of antivirus programs also detect adware, and spyware apps which send a lot of ads, and spy on users too much.

But, I think most of the free antivirus programs for Android is usually good enough, and you can always pay a few dollars for the paid version. A lot of system utility programs like Clean Master, and Advance Mobile Care comes with an antivirus programs which users can use to protect their device from viruses.
No yeah I definitely think that they can come in handy, although again safe browsing / smart browsing is the #1 form of protection. I simply meant that at the time there really wasn't much of any malware for mobile platforms, but now I'm sure the numbers have increased.

No yeah I definitely think that they can come in handy, although again safe browsing / smart browsing is the #1 form of protection. I simply meant that at the time there really wasn't much of any malware for mobile platforms, but now I'm sure the numbers have increased.

I think some antivirus for Android quickly scans websites for viruses before you load them, and they block scripts, dangerous scripts, pop-ups to dangerous sites, and viruses from infecting your device.

I think safe browsing these days is harder to do because sometimes good websites get hacked, and sometimes bought by virus makers to infect visitors. Plus, most people thesedays use search engines to find information on websites, and search engines sometimes take a long time to remove virus-infected websites from their search results.

Dangerous JavaScripts from widgets, ads, video players, and stuff on a website can sometimes infect users' mobile.

Back