New to anime, need some help!

Zoey

Full GL Member
Credits
Hey guys,

I am a complete anime newbie. Recently I've decided to give anime ago because I often see so many people discussion different ones and I want to join in. I always assumed that anime is that cheesy over the top sort of thing but I've been educated that there's plenty to choose from and that it has many, many different genres.

The anime that I've seen and really enjoyed is Death Note and Attack on Titan. I've watched things like Dragonball Z when I was a kid but that was YEARS ago.

I'd really love some help and suggestions as to what I should be watching and that it would fit my taste. Like, I've said, I dislike cheesy and over the top anime. What I'm trying to find is more intense, darker, psychological, murders sort of anime? If there's such a mix. Or if you think that there's certain series that any anime lover must see?

All help is greatly appreciated and hopefully, I will be able to educate myself more about it in the future. Looks very interesting.

Well, if you're looking for dark and murder, then allow me to introduce you to Darker Than Black. I haven't watched it since 2011 so I don't remember all of it, but it takes place in this world where people take contracts (I think giving up their humanity? I can't remember) in order to get supernatural powers. It's really heavy.

Kurokami is another one I really like, but again, it's been 6 years so I can't remember is it's "cheesy." The whole premise is that in the world there are 2 people who look exactly like you and if you or your other doppelgangers run into each other, one of you is destined to die, and the last one standing the the "real" you.

If you want a deep love story, that might get cheesy because it's a love story, but it will destroy your emotions, check out Clannad. There's also Clannad After Story, but I haven't seen it.

One of my favorite anime's ever though is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but this one is kinda campy, but in a good way. It's supposed to be a comedy. Also, if you stick with it long enough, there's this really awesome twist that I wouldn't spoil for anyone because it's so amazing.

I haven't watched much, but one that I did start watching (and haven't yet completed) is Cowboy Bebop, which is very highly rated and is basically a story about space cowboys that oozes style. There's was also a live action adaptation of it announced recently, but the original Anime is available on Netflix here in the UK and Crunchyroll.

Wow, didn't expect so many good suggestions. Thank you very much, guys.

I love the Darker than Black's plot it seems really good and interesting. I don't enjoy highly predictable storylines so this is perfect.

Kurokami also seems pretty deep just based from what I've read. Honestly, just from reading, I feel bad for Ibuki.. must be terrible when everybody around you ends up dying and you start blaming yourself. Very appealing storyline.

I am pretty sure that I've heard of Cowboy Bebop before. I think some of my friends were tweeting about it, haha. Does it mainly revolve around humorous situations though or what?

Also, has anybody seen an anime called Monster? I've seen it on one of the anime websites and it got rated pretty high. It seems very dark and full of twists.

Anyway, I for sure have plenty of things to watch. Thank you again :)

I'd definitely agree with the recommendations of Darker than Black and Kurokami. Clannad is one of my favorites if you a tear jerker. I cried a lot. Not afraid to admit it.

In terms of dark, psychological anime maybe give Higuarashi no Naku Koro ni a shot. I wasn't expecting it to be so twisted but I was in for a pleasant surprise. Then again I had no idea what the visual novel was like when I watched the anime.

Monster is well regarded among anime fans so if you have the time give it a shot.

I am pretty sure that I've heard of Cowboy Bebop before. I think some of my friends were tweeting about it, haha. Does it mainly revolve around humorous situations though or what?

Not particularly. The main crew of protagonists are bounty hunters, and the episodes resolve around them acting upon bounties. There are some funny bits, but mostly I enjoy the style of the show.

Oh, I see. Then Cowboy Bebop is on my ''future anime'' to watch list. There's so many though, haha.

A small update: I've started watching Kurokami and I am already addicted. I'm already on the 9th episode. I love how brutal and honest this anime is... never seen this style before and it's beyond amazing. That truck scene hit me so hard :( sadly beautiful story so far.

Is the first season only 23 episodes? and there's no 2nd season? making sure so I don't miss any.

Hey! I recomend you by starting with Death Note, then go with Psycho-Pass and Sis Puella Magi Madoka Magica, those are great animes to start with, one of my preferences but it's a bit complex is Ghost In The Shell, try to take a watch on them. You'll never regret it.

She's already seen Death Note and really enjoyed it. Psycho-Pass is a great suggestion though. Forgot about that one. Maybe give Tokyo Ghoul a shot. Based on your preference I think you might like it. If you like mystery give Durarara!! a shot.

Okay, the lack of recommendation for Code Geass in this topic is disturbing. If you want something just like Death Note but with mechs in it, I highly recommend Code Geass season 1 and 2.

As for Monster I've watched it, a bit of a long series but it's a really good watch.

If you like action with guns, I can't recommend Black Lagoon enough, it's a must watch.

Durarara!! for it's action and what I feel is very funny at times.

Gurren Lagann for it's mech and crazy action.

hellsing ultimate for an awesome story, high visuals but it is very dark/bloody.

Overlord and One Punch Man series for their over powered characters but makes for a good viewing.

I could recommend more but I'll let you enjoy those for now.

Okay, the lack of recommendation for Code Geass in this topic is disturbing. If you want something just like Death Note but with mechs in it, I highly recommend Code Geass season 1 and 2.

As for Monster I've watched it, a bit of a long series but it's a really good watch.

If you like action with guns, I can't recommend Black Lagoon enough, it's a must watch.

Durarara!! for it's action and what I feel is very funny at times.

Gurren Lagann for it's mech and crazy action.

hellsing ultimate for an awesome story, high visuals but it is very dark/bloody.

Overlord and One Punch Man series for their over powered characters but makes for a good viewing.

I could recommend more but I'll let you enjoy those for now.

I was gonna suggest Code Geass but Zoey expressed a desire for psychological anime. There's just so many good series out there. So hard to recommend some without leaving off some good ones.

Hellsing Ultimate rather than the Hellsing anime. (Hellsing ultimate is darker and follows the manga closer.) Though I definitely recommend watching TFS's Hellsing afterwards.

I'd also suggest Ghost in the Shell (the original movie is a bit dry and psychological but pretty good anyway, Stand Alone Complex is pretty good. Arise is ok, but not as good as previous entries.)

I've heard good things about Monster, but not watched it myself. (From what I've been told it's about a doctor who saves a serial killer.)

Berserk is dark and gory. Possibly of interest.

Casshern Sins is beautiful but the pacing is really slow. It also borders on melodramatic at times. Might be of interest down the road.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Did you like Attack on Titan? If so this anime is like that except with trains and "zombies".

Simoun is a beautiful anime but watch the first episode then skip the next 4 episodes basically because they're pretty well filler. (They don't really set up anything and it's largely just faffing about while a certain character gets their head sorted out.) It has some deep psychological matter in it (war, religion and blind faith, identity and choice.)

Finally, I'd recommend Fullmetal Alchemist. I'd say watch the original 2003 anime first (even though it differs from the manga, it's still pretty good and it's ending is something to see.) Then watch FMA: Brotherhood. Brotherhood follows the manga exactly and is extremely well done. It does have a few moments of cheese/camp, but they're often funny. (A particular moment in one of Armstrong's fights comes to mind.)

Damn, you guys gave me some serious homework to do! I've added everybody's suggestion onto a big notepad list and now I will go through all. Whoever recommended the best one.... gets a.... cookie? haha. Seriously though. Thank you for taking the time and write all of these down.

I've just finished watching Kurokami yesterday and loved every single second. It felt like it got better every episode. And I totally didn't cry at the end okay.

I've definitely heard of few of the other ones before. Ghost in the Shell rings a bell and Code Geass too. Also, I tried watching the Fullmetal Alchemist a while ago but couldn't find any good versions of it on YouTube. Do you guys recommend that I just download the anime or use Crunchyroll? Or is there some other ''secret'' anime website?

I've used yesmovies.to and kissanime.io.
I do recommend using an adblocker to stop third party scripts from running on both sites (otherwise you'll get innundated with bad ads that either won't close or will try to download malware to your computer.)

Back