Next handheld console......

WitchAssassin

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Username Style
Unlock full profile styling
What do you think Nintendo will come out with next as far as a handheld console after they came up with the 3DS? Do you think they will be able to top that?

Now, I'm not throwing the new Switch into this mix and I have a reason. I'm talking about handhelds only. The Switch is a home console and a handheld combined into one.

They did come out with the next one, it's called the New 3DS and so far they have done very little with it and I haven't gotten my money's worth of upgrading to it :squint:

There won't be one. The Switch is a hybrid and will replace both types of console for Nintendo.

The Switch needs to be the 3DS replacement. Maybe they can put out a refined 3DS similar to what they did by releasing the the GB Micro a year after the DS had been out.

Give people a cheap alternative if they aren't quite ready to invest in the next generation.

There won't be one. The Switch is a hybrid and will replace both types of console for Nintendo.

That is kind of what I thought they were doing. I mean, I'll probably will end up getting a Switch as some point. In the past, there had always been a difference between the handhelds and the home consoles. This year, they decided to combine the two, which was something different that the others hadn't thought of or hadn't tried.

It makes sense from a game catalog point of view, but didn't they say themselves the Switch wouldn't replace the 3DS?
I'm not sure if they did, but they also said the DS family would be a third pillar for the company along with the Gameboy line and their home consoles. They decided to focus on where the money was in that case.

I don't think the Switch could replace the 3DS. The 3DS still feels more portable than the Switch. I mean you could put your 3DS in your pocket and go, but for the Switch, you have to have a bag and things like that.

I don't think the Switch could replace the 3DS. The 3DS still feels more portable than the Switch. I mean you could put your 3DS in your pocket and go, but for the Switch, you have to have a bag and things like that.

3DS seems to become bigger and bigger, to the point it will be the same as Switch that you need something to carry it. Unlike the Gameboy days.

3DS seems to become bigger and bigger, to the point it will be the same as Switch that you need something to carry it. Unlike the Gameboy days.
That's true. When I got the New 3DS, I was very upset that it was so much bigger than my normal 3DS. Like, it still fits in my pocket, but not as easily.

Pretty sure Nintendo said the switch wouldn't really replace the Wii U either *rolls eyes*

I take it you are not a fan of the Wii U?

Even though I think they kind of combined the home console and the handheld/portable console with the Switch, I am still kind of holding out hope that they'll continue the handheld consoles. Nintendo has always kind of been the king of handhelds in the gaming world. Sony tried to compete with Nintendo by coming out with the PSP and the Vita. Microsoft hasn't even tried getting into creating a handheld console.

Even though I think they kind of combined the home console and the handheld/portable console with the Switch, I am still kind of holding out hope that they'll continue the handheld consoles. Nintendo has always kind of been the king of handhelds in the gaming world. Sony tried to compete with Nintendo by coming out with the PSP and the Vita. Microsoft hasn't even tried getting into creating a handheld console.
I think I read somewhere that Microsoft had no interest in creating a handheld console. That's why they allowed Diddy Kong Racing to be released on the DS. Along with a few other Rare games that were on Nintendo hand helds.

I think I read somewhere that Microsoft had no interest in creating a handheld console. That's why they allowed Diddy Kong Racing to be released on the DS. Along with a few other Rare games that were on Nintendo hand helds.

I've probably heard of the same thing. I know Microsoft has always stuck with just the normal home based consoles. Nintendo has had so many handheld consoles over the years that I feel it's almost too difficult to compete with them in that area.

I'm a fan of the Wii U, somewhat anyways. It's just that Nintendo said they keep the Wii U going but yeah that didn't happen.

I'm not a handheld player, but I have to ask the question. Is there really a big market for handhelds now that smartphones are mini computers? Just curious.

I'm not a handheld player, but I have to ask the question. Is there really a big market for handhelds now that smartphones are mini computers? Just curious.
Yeah, because that's just what they are: small computers. Most phone games are trash with maybe a piece of gold every once in a while, but why would I get a puzzle game like anything King makes when I can play Smash Bros or Mario. Or if I had a PSP (or whatever their latest one is I don't follow it) I could play games like Metal Gear or Megaman.

Back