Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Citing the success of its Nintendo Direct events, and a desire to focus its presentations for different sections of the market, boss Satoru Iwata has said at today's investor Q&A that instead of staging a single major press conference intended for everyone, the company will instead hold a number of smaller events at E3, such as one for distributors and one for Western press, which will be behind closed doors.

"We [have] decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past", Iwata said during the meeting. "Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market."

Iwata himself won't be making the presentations.

As for how information is going to be distributed to the consumer/fan at home, Iwata says the company is still looking at the best way to do this, and will announce more concrete plans at a future date. Japanese fans following at home will get their own Nintendo Direct during E3.

Given the fact the company released its new console last year, and that this year's E3 will be dominated by Sony and Microsoft's newer machines, it's perhaps understandable, if also a little sad. Some of my - and yours, Im sure - best E3 memories are of the big Nintendo conferences, whether for good or bad.
Hopefully these smaller events can include some form of executive cosplay. Or manic drums.

You can find Nintendo's comments on the matter in their entirety below:
More here

Sad as this is and how I will miss watching their conference and shutting me out with their 'closed doors presentation.' It's wise to do that since PS4 and Next xbox will be ruling E3 2013 with a iron fist.

I also find this comment on the article interesting:

It's a sign of E3 losing it's importance. And the success of Nintendo Direct so far.
Information is rapidly released, with most companies for a while now, not waiting for big shows to share information. They are more independent, and social media allows for companies to go straight to the audience.

It's no like E3 was going to bring in new customers either, with the majority who follow the conference already up to date with a lot of the information that is going to be announced.

There's certainly a part of me that misses the big announcements, but E3 has just declined in relevance these last few years.

I doubt Nintendo going to E3 would increase their user base at all, everything they are doing is already public and rapidly shared.
Do you guys think game companies will still be doing E3 in a few years?

Whatever happens, GF will bring you all the news there is when the time comes.

E3 attendance goes up every year since the first one. It's here to stay for now at least. And small conference? Nintendo, stop being an ass and gimme some Wii U games!

I think Nintendo's E3 this year will be in their Nintendo Directs. I think in E3 they'll focus on what they have so they can finally rip apart Sony and Xbox. I'm glad they're stepping up, and I look forward to all Nintendo Directs.Not saying I hate Sony, but the world of gaming has strayed to far from what it should be. The majority has 1 PS3 and ALWAYS Call of Duty. Year of Nintendo.

Hahaha, you think Nintendo is going to be able to win the home console race. That's cute.

The thing I'm sort of worried is that Nintendo Direct is all done through Nintendo's site/systems... So if you don't actively seek out and visit them you have pretty much no idea what's going on. And this kind of only really caters to those who really follow Nintendo closely but doesn't really help expand their market. 

E3 though, on the other hand, is a massive event with thousands of people. It's huge... And it has a ton of attention from people in the industry and those who aren't. Bowing out to focus on smaller presentations could prove harmful to Nintendo since that arguably leaves more room for Sony and Microsoft to share spotlight. Which in a year where Nintendo's consoles aren't exactly doing well might cause more damage since people are going to be even less focused on Nintendo (since there is no real Nintendo E3 presentation.) 

Plus this also lends credence to the idea that maybe Nintendo isn't doing so well financially if they're choosing to skip E3 to focus on smaller (and cheaper) venues. 

Part of the reason why E3 is so popular is because it's more than just a few press conferences. It's the chance for gamers to go and play some of the new games these companies are working on. To hang around with other gamers like themselves and talk. To meet with the industry and talk about their passion directly. It's also a ton of fun. And that's why it is still relevant.

Back