Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has admitted that the lack of games available for the Wii U is the key factor behind poor sales.

In an interview with CVG, Iwata dismissed the notion that price was what had stalled sales of the console, instead saying it was down to notable Nintendo titles being absent.

"If the price is actually an issue [with Wii U], then there is some contradiction between the current sales balance between the Basic and Premium versions of the Wii U," he said.
"The basic version should have sold a lot, but the fact of the matter is that people are buying more of the premium version. So the issue is not there.

"I understand that the real issue is the lack of software, and the only solution is to provide the mass-market with a number of quality software titles."

Nintendo's financials for the last quarter revealed the company sold just 160,000 Wii U units worldwide in three months.
source

Good they acknowledge this, but will they fix it?

Well I for one would buy a Wii U if a true sequel to Metroid Fusion is released for it that features all the exploration and glory of Super Metroid and but with new HD 2.5D graphics.

If they want to get a sell out of me then that is one "notable nintendo title" I would like to see.

I agree not enough games will make less people buy the Wii U. A lower price for games, and the Wii U console will also make more people buy the Wii U.

Plus, all the smaller cheaper consoles like Ouya, Nvidia Shield, and Amazon and Google rumored game console may make fewer people buy the Wii U because they are happy with their smaller consoles which may have more games than the Wii U which has fewer games.

Demon_Skeith said:
HD 2.5D graphics?
2.5D for example are games like castlevainia dracula x chronicles,Super Mario Bros Wii, or Mega Man Maverick Hunter X.

its explained better here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D

It is essentially a game with 3.D graphics but played on a 2.D playing field.

I would like for a metroid game like that but with also HD graphics since the Wii U is capable of rendering in HD as opposed to the Wii.

I have to admit, the fact that they do not have many games coming out for this console and it has been released nearly a year now is definitely their downfall and it really is good that they are acknowledging but as you say will they fix it. It is very unusual for a console to be out this long and not have many games released for it.

2D games these days are rather expensive. I know there is a size difference, but it took SNK Playmore about three to four years to make a total of fifteen characters for a fighting game in the 2D style. Even then I believe they used 3D models for a wire-frame. And inbetween 2011 and 2012, they could only make two brand new characters, one from scratch, one that had a little bit of it's sprites already in use. And then three DLC characters that were three other types of characters.

For a 2D Metroid to come back on a Console, it'd have to be mind blowing at minimum, and must push the WiiU to it's limits, or it will fail more than likely. Metroid's always been graphically appealing to the masses I believe, so 2.5D may be the route to go.

Back