Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
The Xbox One will not support external storage at launch, though it will be added later.
That's according to Microsoft's Major Nelson, who made the announcement in his latest podcast.

At around the 37 minute mark of the PAX special, he explains, "The future plan is for definitely to support external storage much like we do on the Xbox 360.

"My understanding is that feature will not be there at launch because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list. I don't know when it will come in though."

The Xbox One comes with a 500GB internal harddrive as standard that cannot be replaced, though at the console's announcement back in March it was confirmed external storage could be connected via the USB 3.0 port to use for game installs and downloads.
source

This is clearly a ploy to get people to use their cloud services.

What's so bad about using the big cloud?

Hopefully it's not limited to one Xbox One console and I'll be able to play games that I purchased at a friend's house (with an Xbox One)

GamerPerfection said:
If you store your data in the cloud..... where are you storing it???
A bunch of servers.

I'm assuming Microsoft will tie the account ID to the XBox One console, or what would be the point in purchasing games that our friends own? We can just exchange IDs over the phone, log in and play the games right away (which will be madness). Or is there another way that prevents this?

But where are these cloud servers? At least with normal servers you know where they're located. You know nothing when you're storing your own data in the cloud.

But where are these cloud servers? At least with normal servers you know where they're located. You know nothing when you're storing your own data in the cloud.
Thank you for your opinion.

@DS - does the console offer a game streaming service for cloud? Or does it suck like PC where you can only download/upload your saved data?

GamerPerfection said:
Let me ask you this Marc.

If you store your data in the cloud..... where are you storing it???
The best answer is you don't want to know where it's at really as data is the most valuable thing people have these days. To trust a 3rd party with it is foolish enough but to have everyone know where the data is at is a bad thing specially if you go and piss a hacker off.

Marc said:
Thank you for your opinion.

@DS - does the console offer a game streaming service for cloud? Or does it suck like PC where you can only download/upload your saved data?

The only thing I know about MS's cloud is this topic nothing else is know about it. Though some concepts such as play as you download suggest steaming.

Back