Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
I probably stick it out since I don't like drinking tap water, and it does not seem like a huge inconvenience as long as I have money, and a way to earning extra money for buying bottled water. I can always stop subscribing to Cable TV, use less electricity, use less gas, and find other ways to save money, so I can afford bottle water if I become very poor where I no longer can afford bottled water.

There is a chance that moving to a new town could be worse if I can't find a new job quickly, or many of the people in the other town are racist, violent, or involve in criminal activities like drug dealing, assault, and theft.

In some places like Canada and the US, the government and local food banks will be more likely to provide bottle water for people who are too poor to afford bottled water. But, the government would probably need to raise taxes for the rich, save money by cutting school and work hours for government workers like politicians, and increase the minimum wage, give more welfare money, so workers can afford bottled water for themselves, and their children.

I can take sponge bathes with bottle water, or bathe less often if I no longer can afford bottled water on a regular basis. I can also buy frozen food like frozen pizza, peas, corn, and meat which don't need to be washed with water. There are also dry foods like cereal, cookies, crackers, and other dry food which are ready to eat without preparation.

There are also ways to clean yourself with non-toxic liquids like vinegar, disinfectant wipes, and natural cleaners without using water.

I can also ride my bike or buy a bus ticket to the closest town with safe water to bathe myself at a community swimming pool or gym.

Last edited:
Oh, man. That's though. I am sorry for the people that are going through this, easier said than done. I definitely have no clue what would my limit be. I would probably try first to adapt the best I can. I am lucky I have no kids or pets depending on me. A lot of the risk can be what your kid decides to do when she or he is unsupervised. I've lived without water at home for a few days before, but that cannot compare to an ongoing situation affecting the whole city. Bonds and safety are also pretty important. If I have people I care for and I don't feel we're at risk for staying, I'd probably try to stick around, at least until the daily grinding persuades me otherwise, before contemplating moving.

Water is a vital resource used for more than just drinking, and while it's true we can think of alternatives, we got to keep in mind that the things we have available in our homes while we think of this hypothetical scenario might not be the same in the area. Considering they talk of a poverty rate dangerously close to half of the current population I really doubt there will be the same opportunities for employment, food choices and many luxuries we might be taking for granted.

There is a chance that moving to a new town could be worse if I can't find a new job quickly, or many of the people in the other town are racist, violent, or involve in criminal activities like drug dealing, assault, and theft.
That is most likely what you'd have to face. I think that with the chaos of seeing everything you own losing its value, business closing and moving elsewhere, lack of opportunities, general unhappiness, illness and poverty would make it more of a surprise if you could actually find it easy to move in, fit in and find a decent job quickly. You might also have to deal with distrust or dismissal of some old-time residents that feel you are out of place if they think of you as a morbid tourist seeking some thrill while there are people wanting out but not being able to. Or I could be wrong, some say it is not nearly as bad.

Anyway, it will take over a decade to fix the water issue, do you guys think they city will be able to recover?

It is nice that some people plan on sticking together and are feeling optimist that the worse has passed and think that soon enough things will start to look up again. I do hope some residents take on the training to lay pipes suggestion and other local projects to help their city in the short and long term.

I know its not the best option, but I would most likely get the hack out of town. I'm sure there is a town somewhere that I could relocate to.
I actually think that if you had the mediums to relocate it'd be the smart choice. Otherwise, the more time that passes you might find overall more difficult to leave without being empty handed.

I know its not the best option, but I would most likely get the heck out of town. I'm sure there is a town somewhere that I could relocate to.

This may not be a good idea for college students who finished a lot of their courses which is needed to graduate from their Degree of choice. Students may need to re-take a lot of courses or sometimes all their courses if they also plan on going to a new College in a new town.

Some colleges don't accept grades and credits which students earned from their old colleges, and schools make transfer students re-take the courses which they already took at their old college. Stricter colleges even force students to take courses from high school if they feel their math, science, and English grades are not good enough for their College.

There is also a chance that the teachers at another college are horrible, and most students dropped out of school because the teacher is bad at teaching, or don't have the resources like newer computers, books, and school supplies which are needed to properly teach students.

Going to a college with a poor reputation could also make it harder for graduates to find employment in their field because of companies bad experiences when hiring poorly trained workers who graduated from bad colleges which did not properly train students for the workforce.

Switching to another college in another town can sometimes waste a lot of time, and many thousands of dollars.

This may not be a good idea for college students who finished a lot of their courses which is needed to graduate from their Degree of choice. Students may need to re-take a lot of courses or sometimes all their courses if they also plan on going to a new College in a new town.

Some colleges don't accept grades and credits which students earned from their old colleges, and schools make transfer students re-take the courses which they already took at their old college. Stricter colleges even force students to take courses from high school if they feel their math, science, and English grades are not good enough for their College.

There is also a chance that the teachers at another college are horrible, and most students dropped out of school because the teacher is bad at teaching, or don't have the resources like newer computers, books, and school supplies which are needed to properly teach students.

Going to a college with a poor reputation could also make it harder for graduates to find employment in their field because of companies bad experiences when hiring poorly trained workers who graduated from bad colleges which did not properly train students for the workforce.

Switching to another college in another town can sometimes waste a lot of time, and many thousands of dollars.

Whats the point of a career degree if you spend most of your time sick?

Whats the point of a career degree if you spend most of your time sick?

You can drink bottled water, or have a water truck company from another town deliver safe water to your home which should keep you safe from lead poisoning by drinking and bathing in water from another place with safe water.

Finishing a degree and buying safe water to consume and wash yourself with before leaving could be a good idea if you just have a few courses left until you graduate.

But, it would be a good idea to leave if you can't afford to get safe water from another place, or you can't afford to pay for school, water, rent, and utilities at the same time.

Considering the special situation and given that is most likely a move within the same state (or at least same country) I find it very unlikely a person studying won't be offered options to continue elsewhere, at most, I think they'd lose a few credits if the exact same career or plan is not available.

I think taking a bit longer to finish your career elsewhere is a better bet that staying and risking getting sick, which could actually hinder your progress in college anyway. Unless, as froggyboy604 froggyboy604 suggested you have the mediums to afford the extra costs. Still, I've heard schools being closed in the area, so even with that, it might still be no guarantees if you choose to stay because of that.

You can drink bottled water, or have a water truck company from another town deliver safe water to your home which should keep you safe from lead poisoning by drinking and bathing in water from another place with safe water.

Finishing a degree and buying safe water to consume and wash yourself with before leaving could be a good idea if you just have a few courses left until you graduate.

But, it would be a good idea to leave if you can't afford to get safe water from another place, or you can't afford to pay for school, water, rent, and utilities at the same time.

Bottle water isn't cheap and people won't donate forever.

Bottle water isn't cheap and people won't donate forever.

True, bottle water is not cheap for people on a limited budget like people who work part-time, or rely on welfare and food stamps for their living expenses.

But, if someone has a full-time job like a truck driver, factory worker, miner, and other full-time jobs , bottled water should be affordable to full-time workers, but they may need to save money by renting a smaller home, living in an apartment, not subscribing to as many TV channels, using less electricity and gas, and not buying as many luxury items like video games, beer, and TVs.

Bottle water is the cheapest bottled drinks compared to juice, milk and other drinks where you usually pay $1-4 per bottle or can.

I occasionally see sales for bottle water where you can buy 20-30 bottles of 16 onces/2.11 cups bottled water for $1-3 at the supermarket.

On Amazon, you can get 12 bottles of 16.9 ounces/2.11 cups bottle water for $2.48, so it cost the user about $0.60 a day if they drink 3 bottles which is equal to almost 7 regular cups of water per day from the water in the 3 bottles.

If you have Amazon Prime, or spend over $50 shipping is free on Amazon.

It is also possible to re-use bottle or clean water from a water truck for bathing yourself by using a water filtering system like how astronauts in space re-use the water in the International Space station by filtering out the germs, dirt, and other stuff to re-use because there is no natural water in space.

Last edited:
It's easy to say you would pack up and leave, but that could be expensive and put you to far away from where you work depending on where you live and the nearest town.

I think if you have a lot of valuable big stuff which you want to keep like a classic car collection, expensive clothes, nice furniture, statues, toy collections and art work moving can get very expensive. Finding a big place to rent can get more expensive in some places because the price of rent is sometimes very high in some places. Unemployment is higher because there are not enough jobs, but a lot of people including senior citizens, and underage people are looking for work to pay for rent, and buy stuff like food and clothes which is more expensive in these places because of the high price of rent, minimum wage, and taxes for stores.

If you work from home like a song writer, artist, webmaster, or online content creator, it could be a good idea to move to another town which you can afford to live in.

Last edited:
http://news.yahoo.com/taking-a-stand-in-flint--or-fleeing--residents-weigh-the-future-195822404.html

So there is an issue in a USA town which the water somehow became contaminated with high amounts of lead and the process to clean up all the water (for drinking, showers, cooking, ect) will take many many years.

Faced with that fact, would you leave town for good or stick it out?

The town is Flint, and it's in Michigan. Where I live. I think it's hard for anyone who doesn't live in the state to realize how big of a disaster this is. The harm that's been done to the environment and humans are severe. Most of these people aren't wealthy or even well off. A lot of the are just barely making it by, so for them moving isn't an option. Would I move? Yes.

Most of these people aren't wealthy or even well off. A lot of the are just barely making it by, so for them moving isn't an option.

I agree if someone does not have money, moving is not an option. Spending their last few dollars to move may make things worst if they don't have any money left over for rent, food, and medical expenses like medicine and hospital bills if they need treatment for a serious illness. A lot of poor people also have to pay back loans like credit cards, and student loans which cause them to have no money after paying back their loans because they still need to payback the bank for loans which is more money which they earn.

I think joining the army, navy, or air force are the few options for people with no money to move out of town and still have stable employment, and housing. But, joining the military has the risk of being killed while fighting in a war.

i don't know what i'd do lead is serious and can lower your iq. now i am starting to think conspiracies lol :)

if i had money i defintely would leave!

The lead poisoning water situation in Flint is getting better according to http://gizmodo.com/flints-drinking-water-is-getting-safer-but-the-crisis-1791608232 where the water is safer. If things keep getting better, the water in Flint maybe totally safe again.

"On Tuesday, a new study found that the level of lead in Flint, Michigan’s drinking water is beneath the federal threshold, though residents are still being told to use filtered water.

Flint’s water—in other words, the lead levels in the most contaminated water samples—has fallen by 12 parts per billion, below the “action level” of 15 ppb."

Democrats caused it and then proceeded to blame Republicans. I know about my home state. This was sadly started before Snyder took office. He was just a perfect scapegoat, never mind Flint's city council all voted for the switch, and are all Democrat mind you

It was a tragedy. The sad part is the people who were responsible for this won't see a day in prison. Even more disappointing is the current administration's fixation of rolling back EPA protections. Just be ready to see more and more of this in the coming years.

Back