No Mutants Allowed! An interesting article about this obscure website.

Nitwit

The Legend of Nitwit: The World is INSANE!!!
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
http://kotaku.com/the-relentless-champions-of-classic-fallout-1715984448
I saw a recent article about the oldest fansite on the planet. They talked how they used to love the Fallout franchise back when 1&2 were CRPG.

It's very interesting to say the least. And I'll highlight some of the comments made on this article alone.

"For years, No Mutants Allowed, a news site and message board, hung in a happy obscurity. It’s the largest Fallout fansite on the internet and was founded back in the late ‘90s under the shadow of the first two games in the franchise.

It’s difficult to remember now, but the late 90s’ Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 established themselves as some of the best games in the history of isometric computer role-playing. However, in 2004, Interplay closed Black Isle Studios and focused on profoundly forgettable spin-offs like Brotherhood of Steel. The No Mutants Allowed community were united in sorrow but never abandoned their love for the once short-lived Fallout universe.

[This article was originally published on 9/29/15.]

About a decade ago, Bethesda purchased the license, and the hype-cycle for Fallout 3 started to churn. The 2008 game got stellar reviews and sold millions of copies. Seven years later, Fallout is one of the most recognizable franchises in gaming. A 2010 sequel followed, and then came last month’s massive announcement of the upcoming Fallout 4. At this point, it’s hard to imagine anything being a bigger release this year. That little isometric CRPG has finally taken the world."

"But No Mutants Allowed will not give up the ghost.

The oldest fansite in Fallout history, a community that loves the Fallout universe more than anything else in the world, has thoroughly rejected Bethesda’s take on the fiction.

One NMA user writing under the name Mobucks just listed out some of the supposed sins of the Bethesda take on Fallout: “The 200 year old food. The abandoned, wood-framed, blown-in-half houses which would have rotted to dust in 50 years. The existence of wood-framed anything still standing 200 years after a nuclear assault leveled the area. [Fallout 3] is a completely grade-school level of thinking of what a post-nuclear society would be like. All flash, no substance.”

And another: “[Fallout 3] made me lower my standards in gaming just so I could play through this bloody thing, and it still ended up disappointing me,” wrote Autonomousoblast

“I am still not convinced that you can be empowered by a game that refuses to acknowledge your agency, to take your actions into account,” wrote Naosanno. “In the end, no matter what you do, you will be prisoner of what the developers expected you to do.”

Posts like this that have earned No Mutants Allowed notoriety as one of the most cantankerous communities in all of video games. They complain because they love, of course."

You can read the rest on the website. But other than that? We're going to turn into them when the next gen Mario games come out? lol

Back