Not all Windows Store apps will run on Windows 10 S (No Linux distros, for example)

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Windows 10 S is a streamlined version of Microsoft’s desktop operating system that, among other things, can only run apps downloaded from the Windows Store.

In a blog post, Microsoft’s Rich Turner explains that not every app in the Windows Store will work on Windows 10 S. One category of apps that won’t work? Anything with a command-line, shell, or console.

That pretty much rules out all of the Windows Subsystem for Linux apps, since they’re primarily designed to run in command-line windows

Read More

This is disappointing for software makers who want to publish their command-line, shell, or console program to the Windows Store, and users who may want software makers to publish command-line, shell, and console programs to use in Windows 10 S.

Hopefully, MS does not block regular Windows Store games, and programs which don't use the command-line, shell, or console from running in Windows 10 S until users pay $50 to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro to use a Windows Store program and game which are exclusive to more expensive versions of Windows like Windows 10 Pro.

why the hate for cmd? Granted it can be a bit hard but it's an ace in the hole for any tech geek.

why the hate for cmd? Granted it can be a bit hard but it's an ace in the hole for any tech geek.

There were a few fun CMD games which I played in the past where I had to launch them with MS-DOS commands. I'm guessing disabling CMD will cause CMD game makers to need to re-make their whole game to work on the Windows Store and Windows 10 S devices.

It is a shame that Microsoft is limiting the use of CMD and Shell commands in Windows 10 S.

CMD does not have an undo feature in some cases, and once you launch a wrong command, you may delete a file for good, or wreck Windows.

But, CMD is very useful to use when your computer to see if the internet or working, or can't startup into the Windows User interface because of a startup program or file which broke Windows, so you can use CMD to delete the file, or run commands like sfc /scannow to try to fix Windows from the command line.

Last edited:
Back