froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yahoo has declared that it is closing down the legacy system of its chat service Yahoo Messenger. The company has asked all its users to transition to the new version presented last year. The old Yahoo Messenger will not work from Aug 5 this year.

The chat support has been around since 1998, and was very popular among Indian users then. The old version saw a loss of users list eventually, with several new services rising to the front, including Google Talk, social networking sites like Facebook, myspace, and smart phone chat applications like WhatsApp. Yahoo tried recover its Messenger support by upgrading its Android and iOS applications, apart from its Web version last year in Dec.

Read More

This is too bad that YIM Desktop Instant Messenger program is shutting down soon.

YIM users now need to use web version of YIM by logging into Yahoo mail's website, or use an Android emulator to use YIM inside an Android Emulator like Bluestacks if they really need to use YIM on a desktop PC.

I think using YIM on Android, and iOS is not as good as on a desktop PC because of the small screen on smartphones/tablets, and tiny keyboard which make it difficult to send messages fast, and talk to many users at once on the same screen.

That does suck.

I wonder would Yahoo let other companies make third-party Yahoo Messenger programs, so people don't have to use the Android, iOS, and web version of YIM which is not a good user experience for people who don't own mobile devices, or don't like chatting in a web browser.

I wonder would Yahoo let other companies make third-party Yahoo Messenger programs, so people don't have to use the Android, iOS, and web version of YIM which is not a good user experience for people who don't own mobile devices, or don't like chatting in a web browser.

Haven't these been out for, like, forever? I remember Adium having the support long, long time ago - did they take out that?

To be quite honest, I thought Yahoo was gone itself already, and I don't know anyone who ever used the messenger in the first place. Guess it's more of an US thing then.

Haven't these been out for, like, forever? I remember Adium having the support long, long time ago - did they take out that?

To be quite honest, I thought Yahoo was gone itself already, and I don't know anyone who ever used the messenger in the first place. Guess it's more of an US thing then.

I still badly need its email service.

There is a program called Trillian which let people chat on multiple chat services like MSN, YIM, ICQ, AIM, and other chat services at once. Linux users also use a program called Pidgin which is like Trillian, but made for Linux.

But, I think once YIM Desktop version is cancelled, there is a chance that Yahoo will shutdown the YIM desktop client connection for Trillian, and Pidgin to force people to use the web version of YIM, or download the YIM app for Android and iOS.

I think YIM was popular in Canada as well because I remember some Canadian Tech show talking about YIM, and how to use it to send files and folders to friends over the internet.

Back