Open worlds vs "Interactive movies"

IntoxNitram

GamingLatest Slave
Staff member
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
A video looking at the way the gaming industry favors open worlds as opposed to narrative driven linear games. I agree with the opinions in this video - I much prefer a linear story driven game than an open world (however I think there is space for both) but it seems like linear games are dying out.

I don't mind open worlds, but sometimes you travel like ages with nothing going on just to get to your destination. I'm looking at you Wind Waker...

Depends what the open world game is. Games like GTA or Horizon are great open world games but others like Skyrim are not for me. I found it really hard to play Skyrim because I would always get lost.

I like open worlds. Just don't feel like it is a requirement for games - but many developers seem to think it is.

Final fantasy always had a open world to it, kind of lost it for awhile during FF 10 - 13. But I'm not against a open world, but if you do you need to have something going on even few feet or so.

I'm okay with open worlds. Some games have stuff you can collect on the side as part of the fun of the game and you can't really do that if you have a more linear game.

I'm okay with an open world as long as the developer fills it with enough things to do between major points. Bethesda has done a good job of that with the Elder Scrolls games as well as Fallout, considering 100% of the time when I'm walking to another quest point I end up getting side tracked with some other location.

But if it's an open world where I have to cross miles just to get to the next point and there isn't much to do, I'd rather they just make a linear game.

Interactive movies get old pretty quickly in my opinion. The sequence is all the same, and it gets tiring after a few playthroughs. Exploration is still my favorite game type; games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 will always be amazing to play since you can go anywhere you want to go, and whatever your choice is, the game and its characters all react to your actions on previous quests. If you went ahead of the story and did a quest, they will acknowledge it for you when you get to it. And I think that's an amazingly detailed job.

Back