Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A California judge has ruled to consolidate all seven individual class action lawsuits filed against Sony Computer Entertainment America for removing the "Other OS" feature from the PlayStation 3.

This means Sony now faces one large class action complaint, which is expected to be filed by the end of the month. Sony will then have the next 30 days to issue a response.

The parties will be meeting this coming September to discuss scheduling and give disclosures.

Back in April, the first lawsuit was filed against Sony for the "intentional disablement of the valuable functionality originally advertised as available." Users of the feature could install the operating system Linux, which Sony removed claiming it was for security concerns.

Sony has yet to issue a response to this litigation.

We'll provide updates on this as it happens. Be sure to check out our "What the PS3 Class Action Lawsuit Means For You" article explaining the details.

source

I hope sony hasn't meh this to the side, it's getting big and dangerous for them.

I doubt Sony will lose. I forgot why people were mad over the OS removal though... But Sony has good lawyers. :p

I think there's more too it but that is the main core of the law suit. and you could if you wanted to.
Not like I would win. I have no case. It was a company decision. It's their choice, so people shouldn't really complain about it.

You can get a used computer that cost 100-400 dollars or less on EBay which can run most Linux and Windows based operating systems like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Red hat, Windows XP, Vista, 7. etc, so it probably be more worth it to spend the money on a new computer instead of on a lawyer if you need a computer to run Windows or Linux so bad. It's not like having Other OS will improve the graphics or sound for PS3 games or improve loading times for games.

A large Sony Boycott internet and local campaign will be more effective if you can convince enough people who also have problems with Sony products to get rid of their PS3s and most Sony products and buy a Nintendo Wii, 360, and Panasonic TV since Sony been releasing CDs with Rootkits viruses on them in the past, making laptop batteries which overheated, some of Sony pictures movies and Sony music is not great to watch or listen to, and their prices are high for electronics like a mp3 player or laptops compared to brands like Samsung, Toshiba, and Panasonic. I have not bought many Sony branded products since the Sony PS2 days since I found cheaper better alternatives.

The prices are usually higher because they use better material. They build it better, and last longer, plus it has more features. And Sony isn't the only company that has faulty hardware. *looks at Microsoft* Almost all of Microsoft's hardware breaks down. Windows is not trustworthy, and neither is the 360.

The prices are usually higher because they use better material. They build it better, and last longer, plus it has more features. And Sony isn't the only company that has faulty hardware. *looks at Microsoft* Almost all of Microsoft's hardware breaks down. Windows is not trustworthy, and neither is the 360.

anything that has to do with tech, is not trustworthy.

I agree with DS most tech is faulty and breaks sooner or later because of wear and tear from regular use, and heat damage.

I meant some will last longer than others. Some companies make their tech last longer, while others just try to put things out fast to make money fast. Like Samsung. I thought they were trustworthy... until my TV from them broke down 6 months after purchase (HD TV by the way), and my phone, again from them, broke down after 2 months of usage. I have had my PS2 for over 6 years, it's still working. My aunt has had a N64 for over 10 years, still working. Video game consoles usually last longer than other tech.

I meant some will last longer than others. Some companies make their tech last longer, while others just try to put things out fast to make money fast. Like Samsung. I thought they were trustworthy... until my TV from them broke down 6 months after purchase (HD TV by the way), and my phone, again from them, broke down after 2 months of usage. I have had my PS2 for over 6 years, it's still working. My aunt has had a N64 for over 10 years, still working. Video game consoles usually last longer than other tech.

pretty much anything after the PS2 era are being made cheaply. We all know for sure that MS cuts corners with the Xbox systems.

pretty much anything after the PS2 era are being made cheaply. We all know for sure that MS cuts corners with the Xbox systems.
Well, actually, the Wii, PS3, and PSP are built to last. I haven't heard from any of my friends that have PSP's or Wii's breaking. All my friends PS3's (and mine) have yet to break, and I've had mine since release. I saw some statistics of the failure rate. Wii-2%, PS3-10%, and 360-50%. I don't know the PSP and DS's, but all 6 of my DS's have broke (5 DS Lite, and 1 DSi). I'm assuming the failure rate for the DS is around the same for the 360's. The sixth gen had the least amount of failure rates, I believe.

I forget where I read this, but a university somewhere bought a ton of PS3s to run advanced calculations on (something similar to that...) just because it had great raw processing power for a low price. To accomplish this, it was required to install Linux. Now what? They're just going to throw away the many PS3s they bought? I think it was wrong for Sony to do this.

I haven't even upgraded mine yet because of this. I'm not sure if I will.

I forget where I read this, but a university somewhere bought a ton of PS3s to run advanced calculations on (something similar to that...) just because it had great raw processing power for a low price. To accomplish this, it was required to install Linux. Now what? They're just going to throw away the many PS3s they bought? I think it was wrong for Sony to do this.

I haven't even upgraded mine yet because of this. I'm not sure if I will.
But they could use something else. Besides, many other things can get Linux, it's not the PS3's main function.

I agree stuff these days are being made cheaply or poorly designed even on very expensive tech like the Iphone 4 which has reception problems.

MS kind of cheap out on the earlier 360 by not puting better fans and cooling system for their 360.

I think getting long lasting tech these days is more about luck since the workers which assemble the tech are usually from 3rd-world countrie which have poor education system unless they can afford "private school or live close to a good school" vs the US, Canada, UK, etc where the educational system is more standardize, so most repair men or factory workers went to Community College, Technical schools, University (or at least an intenship with a qualified professional) before they can find a job as a Computer Tech, TV tech, and most technical professions.

I also won't be surprised if companies are hiring less skilled scientist, engineers, and designers to design their tech in 3rd-world countries.

I think poorly educated people assembling high tech products like video game consoles, MP3 players, and computers are a poor combination.

Back