froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
You may have upgraded to Windows 10 as soon as humanly possible, but don't tell that to your PC manufacturer. As part of its tech support research, Laptop has learned that at least Dell and HP are discouraging customers from updating to Windows 10, or even recommending that people roll back to older versions. When asked, both companies defend the practice. They're committed to Windows 10, but their ultimate goal on a support line is to fix your PC... even if that means reverting to old software.

Read More

I think this is good advice because a lot of PCs which came with Windows 7 and 8.1 are too slow to be upgraded to Windows 10, and upgrading to Windows 10 can cause more problems like no-backwards compatibility with older software, and hardware like printers.

A clean install of Windows is best.

I'm searching hardware for a school project right now, near impossible to find a laptop that doesn't offer W10 and that includes Dell and HP.

I agree, non-Windows 10 laptops are harder to find unless you buy a laptop which is Used/Refurbished, or older laptops on sites like Amazon, eBay, and Craigslist.

I think Dell's Alienware series might still run on Windows 8.1. I don't think they have a new line of Alienwares running on Windows 10. They are upgradeable to Windows 10, but don't come with Windows 10 on them.

I'm amazed at all the refurbished laptops out there.

I think used laptops are easier to re-sell, so refurbishing companies refurbish more laptops than desktops because a lot of people usually use their desktops for many years until they are too slow to use for running newer games, and software, so old used desktops are harder to re-sell at a good price compared to lightly used laptops which people replace more often to look more trendy by using a new Apple laptop or Windows Gaming laptop at school, library, or at a Coffee shop.

I think Dell's Alienware series might still run on Windows 8.1. I don't think they have a new line of Alienwares running on Windows 10. They are upgradeable to Windows 10, but don't come with Windows 10 on them.

The New Alienware X51 R3 and Area 51 gaming desktop, and 13-17 inch Alienware laptops comes with Windows 10 according to Dell's website.

Back