Physician Asissted Suicide...

Do you think it's ok for doctor's to help their patient's commit suicide?

• Yes (sure let them do it)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (they are wrong for doing it)

• Not sure (haven't thought about it much)

• Don't care (just don't really care either way)

• Total voters

Seaofclouds

Senior Moderator
Awards
Credits
I did a research paper on this topic in nursing school. We looked at lots of cases (like Kevorkian) where a doctor helped his patients commit suicide. Some people think doctor's should take their oath 100% literally and that the "do not harm" section should me not to help your patient kill themselve, while others say, if they want to die, it's their right, why not make it easier?

So, what do you guys think? Is it ok for a doctor to help their patient commit suicide? Maybe only in certain cases like terminal illness or severe pain? Or never at all no matter what? What would you do if it was your family member that wanted their doctor to help them commit suicide??

(Same rules as my other debate topics...if this gets ugly, I'll delete offensive posts or lock the topic. Please play nice.)

well I believe that if a person will be in pain or be disabled to a certain degree for their entire life they should be "put to rest" to easy their suffering. Doctors can only do so much and if the patient and the doctor agree on it then they should die as long as it is legal.

Like you said, SoC, I think it's only okay for severe cases, like extreme pain, and/or a terminal disease.

I think it's only alright in the case that the person is say, in a coma they won't wake up from, or something like that.

I'm against it, to be honest, because you never know how fast medical science finds a cure that treats the pain or the disability that makes said person want to die.

This one is always heated. I believe in the person's choice. If they are of sound mind to make that decision, who are we to stop them? The truth is, they will do it with or without help. I say give them some dignity.

Back