Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
For the last few days, Sony's PlayStation network has had issues. These issues are causing gamers to experience issues playing games, streaming videos, and logging into their accounts.

Sony is aware of the issue but isn't issuing any statements as to why but has posted some helpful tips.

No doubt the release of Dragon Ball Fighterz, Monster Hunter World, FF Dissidia NT and FF 14 updates, is no doubt placing a lot of strain on the network.

I wonder if the Intel Meltdown and Spectre Security patches, and stronger security software to protect their system from Meltdown and Spectre are slowing down PSN's server CPUs.

I wonder if the Intel Meltdown and Spectre Security patches, and stronger security software to protect their system from Meltdown and Spectre are slowing down PSN's server CPUs.
That's possible but there is also issues with the new updates as well causing servers etc to restart.

That's possible but there is also issues with the new updates as well causing servers etc to restart.

It is possible that Sony needs to update their networking software for their firewalls, router and switches to protect against Intel Meltdown and Spectre security vulnerabilities as well if any of their networking gear has security vulnerabilities in their firmware. The firmware updates for networking gear like routers maybe slowing down PSN as well.

It is possible that Sony needs to update their networking software for their firewalls, router and switches to protect against Intel Meltdown and Spectre security vulnerabilities as well if any of their networking gear has security vulnerabilities in their firmware. The firmware updates for networking gear like routers maybe slowing down PSN as well.

I don't know anything about their back end, but I do have to wonder when the last time they updated their hardware.

I don't know anything about their back end, but I do have to wonder when the last time they updated their hardware.

Maybe Sony just update a few pieces of hardware at a time to save money, or just do minor upgrades to their networking gear like adding more RAM, and a faster CPU on a few networking gear. Sony probably does not have a huge networking back end like other companies like Google which also host many e-mail servers, streaming video services, apps, and office files.

Maybe Sony just update a few pieces of hardware at a time to save money, or just do minor upgrades to their networking gear like adding more RAM, and a faster CPU on a few networking gear. Sony probably does not have a huge networking back end like other companies like Google which also host many e-mail servers, streaming video services, apps, and office files.

I would think PSN would have to be a huge networking setup.

I would think PSN would have to be a huge networking setup.

If it was huge and very modern with the latest and greatest tech, there maybe fewer issues for days because of many game releases and FF 14 updates.

PSN maybe huge, but the networking setup may not have been upgraded as much as gamers want it to be updated, and PSN can't keep up with the demands of modern online gaming without issues.

If it was huge and very modern with the latest and greatest tech, there maybe fewer issues for days because of many game releases and FF 14 updates.

PSN maybe huge, but the networking setup may not have been upgraded as much as gamers want it to be updated, and PSN can't keep up with the demands of modern online gaming without issues.

networking can be taxing and those machines/setups are running 24/7

networking can be taxing and those machines/setups are running 24/7

Networking can also be very expensive where big companies like Google, and Amazon may spend a lot of their money on buying, and replacing servers, switches, routers, servers, cables, and new software and operating system. Hiring a lot of highly skilled network admins can also be hard to find and expensive.

Networking can also be very expensive where big companies like Google, and Amazon may spend a lot of their money on buying, and replacing servers, switches, routers, servers, cables, and new software and operating system. Hiring a lot of highly skilled network admins can also be hard to find and expensive.

No doubt thousands of dollars each week.

No doubt thousands of dollars each week.

I bet, Amazon and Google may spend millions of dollars a week on upgrades. With all the web traffic a Amazon, and Google get, big sites always need to install more networking gear, and keep building new office buildings to add more servers, routers, and other computers to their larger network since these giant websites always have new visitors, and daily visitors who visit Google and Amazon whenever a news event happens, or there is a big sale on an item.

Back