froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Early on in the Pokémon Go hype cycle, there were signs that players were driving a significant uptick in sales of backup batteries, like the Mophie units you may be familiar with that offer USB connections for topping up mobile devices while you’re away from an outlet. Now, research from analytics firm NPD Group goes beyond early anecdotal evidence to show that in fact, unit sales across the portable power pack segment saw a 101 percent spike in the two weeks spanning July 10 and July 23, as compared to the same period last year.

Overall demand for mobile batteries has been high in general this year – NPD days sales are up 35 percent year-over-year on a 12-month measure as of June 2016. But between that time and the launch of Pokemon Go in early July, the tracker was actually showing a slowdown in sales for the category overall, with only a four percent increase for the six weeks prior to Go’s debut. Total sales for the two weeks where the big Go spike occurred were at almost 1.2 million units in total.

Read More

It is always good to carry extra battery power around since sometimes charging a phone from a wall or car charger can take a long time to fully charge which takes time away from Pokemon Go and other walking phone tasks.

I wonder if longer Micro-USB and Lightning charging data cables are also having an increase in sales because sometimes those charging cables, which come bundle with external battery chargers and regular chargers, are short and lower quality, and are not designed for outdoor use or being moved around or bent a lot.

I find it pretty alarming how Pokemon Go seems to have such a powerful impact upon the world. It's a fun game, but nothing more. Why is everyone so obsessed with it? Not even Angry Birds created this much hype.

I find it pretty alarming how Pokemon Go seems to have such a powerful impact upon the world. It's a fun game, but nothing more. Why is everyone so obsessed with it? Not even Angry Birds created this much hype.
Because it's pokemon, it's mobile (accessibility), and it's free. Pokemon is a household brand name these days, it's really not a surprise that so many people have picked it up. That and with the advancement of technology, being a "nerd" is now cool to teens. So, there's that.

I think Pokemon Go is having such a powerful impact because Pokemon came out when Japanese anime was extremely popular around the world. Pokemon is also a game and cartoon which is popular with both females and males instead of other anime and games like Gundam Wing, and DragonBall where the fan base is probably mostly young males.

There are also a lot of people who like collecting stuff, and one of the main themes of Pokemon Go is catching and collecting Pokemon.

This only bolds to be bad, if someone wants to drive sales up they just need to release an addicting app to do so.

I agree releasing addictive apps could drive up sales for stuff.

I think Nintendo is missing out on earning money from selling Pokemon Go themed smartphone battery backup chargers, and charging cables.

I wonder would Nintendo will start selling official battery backup devices with Pokemon Go pictures on it, and also give users free in-app purchases like Pokeballs, lures, and rare Pokemon with each purchase. But, I bet, there may already be many companies like Mophie, Belkin, Energizer, and Duracell who wants to contact Nintendo, and pay money to license and use the Pokemon Go logo, brand and pictures on their packaging and battery backup chargers, cases, and cables to sell to Pokemon Go collectors.

I remember Nintendo selling a USB to ethernet network adapter for the Wii, and a Wifi USB adapter for PC which let you connect a Nintendo DS to Wifi by sharing your PC's internet signal with the Wi-Fi adapter.

I agree releasing addictive apps could drive up sales for stuff.

I think Nintendo is missing out on earning money from selling Pokemon Go themed smartphone battery backup chargers, and charging cables.

I wonder would Nintendo will start selling official battery backup devices with Pokemon Go pictures on it, and also give users free in-app purchases like Pokeballs, lures, and rare Pokemon with each purchase. But, I bet, there may already be many companies like Mophie, Belkin, Energizer, and Duracell who wants to contact Nintendo, and pay money to license and use the Pokemon Go logo, brand and pictures on their packaging and battery backup chargers, cases, and cables to sell to Pokemon Go collectors.

I remember Nintendo selling a USB to ethernet network adapter for the Wii, and a Wifi USB adapter for PC which let you connect a Nintendo DS to Wifi by sharing your PC's internet signal with the Wi-Fi adapter.

usually selling themed stuff is left up to 3rd party people.

Back