Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from VGC and kotaku:

Kotaku has reportedly acquired an internal email sent to employees by Niantic founder John Hanke, in which he says the studio’s “expenses [grew] faster than revenue”.

According to the report, Hanke’s email says that revenue increased drastically during the Covid-19 pandemic, but has since started to decline.

Citing a more crowded AR game market and a lack of long-term engagement for its other projects, Hanke claims Niantic isn’t meeting its internal goals, and that as such it will be laying off 230 staff, closing down its NBA All-World game and cancelling its upcoming Marvel: World of Heroes title.

Hanke also stressed that Pokémon Go will remain a priority for Niantic, with plans to keep it going as “a forever game”.

It will also continue to work on existing titles like Pikmin Bloom, Monster Hunter Now and Peridot, but Hanke warns that the studio has “a lot of work to do” to keep player retention, revenue and profitability on these games.

The problem is Niantic farming personal information so I can catch 80% of the Pokedex again. I don't mind, but when they threw a Frosted Mini Wheats and Meijer commercial at my face, you are telling me that they can't afford the help they needed to finish these games they threw off the building. These IPs can pay more than the overcrowded bootleg games you see on the app store that isn't being weeded out for copyright-infringing games.

Hopefully, the workers who lost their job could find new gaming jobs.

Back