Pre-install antivirus like McAfee on Pre-built computers like HP better than Windows Defender?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think McAfee and Norton may offer better antivirus and antimalware protection than Windows Defender which can be more vulnerable to Ransomware like the WannaCry Ransomware which Windows 7's Windows Defender/Security Essentials failed to protect, and a lot of people had their Windows 7 computers locked by the WannaCry Ransomware.

Windows Defender also used a lot of CPU and RAM system resources in my experience. McAfee seems to use less RAM in the newer versions of McAfee which come pre-installed on many lowend laptop wit 2-4GB RAM

Windows Defender have a lot of complaints of having low virus detection rates on social networks, and poor reviews according to "Windows Defender is finally better than a last resort, though it's still not quite as good as most free antivirus software." according to Windows Defender Review: Better Than Nothing

"Default protection on WIndows 10 just got better. Windows Defender seems to be getting some pretty good scores in AV Comparatives. Why do I still not recommend it? See what's hiding behind the green bars, in this video. (Hint: Ransomware)"

Last edited:
Norton doesn't seem to be very good these days, I see many comments on it being rather large on resource usage. Mcafee seems light weight but considering my store pushes it as an AV I've seen a lot of problems with it, plus you actually have to uninstall the pre-loaded mcafee (with a special download program called MCPR) to get a better version on there of the same software.

I agree Norton has high resource usage, but a lot of people who buy Norton may install it on slower computers like Intel Atom and Celeron CPUs which may not run Norton or any more modern antivirus at a fast speed.

I notice McAfee is on sale for $10 a lot at local retail stores.

I wish it was possible to more easily uninstall Windows Defender because I rarely use it.

I agree Norton has high resource usage, but a lot of people who buy Norton may install it on slower computers like Intel Atom and Celeron CPUs which may not run Norton or any more modern antivirus at a fast speed.

I notice McAfee is on sale for $10 a lot at local retail stores.

I wish it was possible to more easily uninstall Windows Defender because I rarely use it.

Staples was selling McAfee for 1 cent after rebate on black friday.

Far as I know Windows defender is like IE, can't be removed?

Staples was selling McAfee for 1 cent after rebate on black friday.

Far as I know Windows defender is like IE, can't be removed?

I think if the government, school, or large company like a Big Bank ask MS to remove Defender from their Windows 10 PCs, MS may make a uninstaller for Defender, or a custom version of Windows 10 which does not come with Windows Defender.

But, if you are a regular user, MS will most likely say it is not possible to fully remove Defender.

I never believed Internet Explorer can't be removed, it's just a web browser with 0 integration into a given OS!
I understand Windows comes with "Explorer", but that's a file manager the entire OS is powered by, so I understand you can't remove that one.
But "Explorer" and "Internet Explorer" aren't quite the same apps, they only share a common name.

I never believed Internet Explorer can't be removed, it's just a web browser with 0 integration into a given OS!
I understand Windows comes with "Explorer", but that's a file manager the entire OS is powered by, so I understand you can't remove that one.
But "Explorer" and "Internet Explorer" aren't quite the same apps, they only share a common name.

I think you can remove IE, but the process to do so is too bothersome.

Back