Probably time to look at better hosting!

Stained Hero

New Member
Credits
0
This website has been pretty busy lately. I just got this error which means too many requests were being sent to the database. If your on shared hosting I would look into Semi Dedicated or a VPS server.

Greg
An error occured with the SQL server:
 

Allan

Well-Known Member
Full GL Member
Credits
0
This error usually means to many connections, and some not able to get to the database. On active forums like this it's not uncommon. You connect the host and see about raising the limit, some are only set a 32mb and need to be raised.
 

Annabell

New Member
Credits
0
Allan said:
This error usually means to many connections, and some not able to get to the database. On active forums like this it's not uncommon. You connect the host and see about raising the limit, some are only set a 32mb and need to be raised.
So this is just a common error, and not a big deal that we need to worry about?
 

Allan

Well-Known Member
Full GL Member
Credits
0
Correct, this doesn't mean the site isn't going to stop working. Just need to contact the host and change the sizes a little. Happens to a lot forums and blogs.
 

Dez97

New Member
Credits
0
it happens on a lot of forums these days. I don't think its really anything much to be worried about. 
 

Stained Hero

New Member
Credits
0
Dez97 said:
it happens on a lot of forums these days. I don't think its really anything much to be worried about. 
I would worry about it because if this website gets any busier your going to get those errors all the time and members are going to get mad when they can't post. The only way I wouldn't worry about it is if you guys got a sudden surge in traffic for a day. If your traffic is steady then its time to upgrade.

Greg
 

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
73,757
Stained Hero said:
I would worry about it because if this website gets any busier your going to get those errors all the time and members are going to get mad when they can't post. The only way I wouldn't worry about it is if you guys got a sudden surge in traffic for a day. If your traffic is steady then its time to upgrade.

Greg
I've contacted my hosting to get the following answer:

We haven't had any server issuess recently. And we haven't had any alerts to your account for high usage. As this is a small issue that happened a few days ago, I will forward this request to a senior admin for them to investigate on a more detailed level. Manuel will be in very early in the morning and can give you the details of this error.
 

Stained Hero

New Member
Credits
0
Demon_Skeith said:
I'll have to see if Xenforo uses CPU as much.
Why not upgrade to Semi Dedicated hosting? Thats what I use on my website, I get doubble the resources as regular hosting and its only $19.99 a month. Even if you convert to Xenforo if this forum keeps picking up new members your going to hit the CPU limit again.

Greg
 

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
73,757
Stained Hero said:
Why not upgrade to Semi Dedicated hosting? Thats what I use on my website, I get doubble the resources as regular hosting and its only $19.99 a month. Even if you convert to Xenforo if this forum keeps picking up new members your going to hit the CPU limit again.

Greg
The reason for all things. :$$$: :$$$: :$$$:
 

Stained Hero

New Member
Credits
0
Demon_Skeith said:
The reason for all things. :$$$: :$$$: :$$$:
I agree its a liitle expensive but even if you convert to Xenforo your going to have to upgrade your hosting if your traffic keep rising. If you like IPB why not just upgrade the hosting? If you think your traffic is going to slow down then stay where your at and on IPB. But I wouldnit spend $140 on Xenforo just to try and lower my hosting bill. Buy it because you like it and want to use it. :thumbsup:

Greg
 

Allan

Well-Known Member
Full GL Member
Credits
0
Going to  VPS isn't bad idea but there are other factors that play in also. Greg is talking about an un-managed hosting plan, meaning you will not have a control panel of any kind unless you install one and if you don't know ssh commands you will have to learn them just to get the software installed to run a website. As far as using Xenforo  I say stay with IPB, XF is okay but nothing to run out and by a license for it.
 

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Credits
73,757
XF is something that may or may not happen down the line. All depends on IPB 4 really. But an issue for later.

I'm aware that VPS is both costly and need some skills to use, skills I don't have or care to learn right now with other things I need to focus on. As the forum grows I will ensure the software can keep up along with the hosting, One user reported error during a quiet time won't make me jump to something more pricey.
 

Allan

Well-Known Member
Full GL Member
Credits
0
I was granted early access to IPB 4 and I will say It looks great. I think alot will forget about xenforo.
 
Top