Pronounced Differently Than You Read It?

McConnaughay

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits

Have you ever had an instance where you read a book, said a word, logged that word into your memory-bank - and then, discovered you'd been mispronouncing it in your head like a numb skull!? For example, many had a pronunciation of Hermione in the Harry Potter series and were shocked when the movies corrected them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a well-grammatically sound person. And with that statement, I like the order of having things being said in the right way. Unless it's a foreign word, I tend to want to read it the same way as it's said to avoid confusion and help remember it for later better. If you start out with a mistake, it tends to keep being a mistake until you correct it, which takes more time than the effort needed to remember it and other things right.

I have done that as well, as most of us tend to pronounce a word with how it is spelled. But I too like knowing the correct way to say something & I try to do that from the beginning because it's easier to train your mind with the correct way than retrain after years of saying something wrong.

There were a few words I learned wrong in the Eragon book by Christopher Paolini. But when the movie came out, that was when I realized I'd been saying those certain words wrong. But I corrected them as I was finishing the other books.

Back