froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
PS4 uses a modified version of the FreeBSD 9.0 UNIX Operating System.

The modifications include making drivers required to use AMD’s 8-core CPU and Radeon GPU combination–something FreeBSD doesn’t have in the form of a Catalyst driver.

Read More

I guest PS4 use FreeBSD to save money by not buying an operating system from Microsoft, or Apple, or needing to make a complete game console operating system.

I wonder why didn't the PS4 use FreeBSD 9.1 which is the latest version of FreeBSD according to FreeBSD's website.

UNIX based operating system seem better for Servers. Although, Apple's OS X, and iOS is a rehash of UNIX.

I'm not sure it is a good idea using a free open operating system made by volunteers for free instead of a custom built operating system like Windows 8 for Xbox One which is custom made by Microsoft, so Microsoft controls and own the code for its operating system.

I really need to post everything that I see.

Yes, this is pretty obvious, considering the PS3 also ran FreeBSD (Although it's funny, because FreeBSD only became available on OtherOS in like 2012.).

UNIX based systems include Linux, which is, like FreeBSD, non-certified UNIX.

I hope this means brighter days for BSD, which has lagged behind in the desktop arena.

I wonder if PS4 using BSD could mean someday a hacker can hack a Desktop PC with FreeBSD 9.0 loaded onto it, and emulate PS4 games.

I remember trying to install BSD on a very old computer, and failed because of a video problem, so I stuck with Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Puppy Linux Mint which is good enough for using as a web browsing computer to browse the web, and play 2D games.

froggyboy604 said:
I wonder why didn't the PS4 use FreeBSD 9.1 which is the latest version of FreeBSD according to FreeBSD's website.
As said in the article, they use a modified version of the OS. They just can't apply system updates or it wreck there set up. I'm sure a update will be available on either release day or soon after.

Sony might of also had to add a lot of big files and programs to the operating system since FreeBSD, and most UNIX based operating systems are basic, and don't come with DVD, Blu-Ray, music playback and other features built-in which will be on the PS4.

UNIX  is mainly used for hosting web sites and files where a user interface is not needed, and you use another computer's command line program, web browser, or FTP program like FileZilla to put files onto it.

I feel Sony is taking advantage of a free operating system for being free, and bundling it for a profit when people buy a PS4 like how some people re-sells a popular free Linux OS on a Disc for $5 when it is free for everyone to download on a Linux websites.

At least, Microsoft, and Nintendo use and make their own operating system for their consoles instead of using and modifying a free OS which volunteers made for free in their spare time, so everyone can use a OS for free to install on a PC or server.

Back