benoit489

Assistant Regional Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Details

New features introduced in 4.50:
  • External HDD support (up to 8 TB)
  • Custom wallpaper (from in-game screenshots)
  • Boost mode for PS4 Pro
I'm most excited for the Boost Mode. It gives a slight boost in performance to games that have yet to receive a Pro patch. Improved frame rates have been reported for many games, helping quite a few meet their 30 FPS goal. This makes the Pro a more enticing option for gamers that don't yet have a 4K TV.

I'm so irked they added external support now after I just bought a 2 TB internal upgrade storage. I have to imagine Nyko isn't very pleased as well since they just announced a data bank for PS4 pro.

I do like to hear the boost mode though, I hope it somehow makes it way out of beta before end of the month.

I'm so irked they added external support now after I just bought a 2 TB internal upgrade storage. I have to imagine Nyko isn't very pleased as well since they just announced a data bank for PS4 pro.

I do like to hear the boost mode though, I hope it somehow makes it way out of beta before end of the month.
Part of me worries boost mode might not make it out of beta. Sony didn't highlight the feature when they made their press announcement, it was only discovered after users snooped around in the system settings. I really hope we get it since it makes some games like Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 run smoother.

Part of me worries boost mode might not make it out of beta. Sony didn't highlight the feature when they made their press announcement, it was only discovered after users snooped around in the system settings. I really hope we get it since it makes some games like Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 run smoother.

You would think they highlight it even more than the external support. So there must be some huge bug tied to it.

You would think they highlight it even more than the external support. So there must be some huge bug tied to it.
It's definitely hit and miss. A couple of games are actually hindered by it, but no big titles at the moment. The important thing is that it definitely helps the games that need it.

Could Boost Mode make games and the PS4 less reliable?

I think it is not a good idea messing around with how fast the PS4's hardware runs since boosting the speed on other devices like PC, laptop, smartphone, and tablet can cause freezes, crashes, overheating problems, and permanent hardware failure to occur.

Losing a save file for a game because of file corruption or a random freeze or restart is very frustrating since most people don't backup their save files, and online saves are sometimes unreliable if there is an internet outage, or PSN problem.

That's probably why they are being quiet about it and hiding it in the beta. It shouldn't cause any hardware problems though. Currently the PS4 Pro downclocks itself to PS4 levels when running games that haven't received a Pro patch. All boost mode does is allow the CPU to run at the same level it would if it were running a game in Pro mode. This uptick is within the limits they designed the PS4 Pro to perform at.

I think they did it quietly because they didn't want to annoy original PS4 users or worry them that they are going to get a poor performance for games in the future. Good updates all around, the PS4 Pro finally looks like a decent upgrade for us guys with a 1080p screen. I still don't think I will buy it though.

I think they did it quietly because they didn't want to annoy original PS4 users or worry them that they are going to get a poor performance for games in the future. Good updates all around, the PS4 Pro finally looks like a decent upgrade for us guys with a 1080p screen. I still don't think I will buy it though.

If you glance at any sony based site, there are many feeling like they are being ripped off with the PS4 compared to PS4 pro. I myself though, which I will be getting the Pro here in a week or two, can not be happier. :grin:

Back