PS5 PS5 Vertically Could Cause Permanent Damage?

Demon_Skeith

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

There may be an apparent design flaw related to the liquid metal layer between the PlayStation 5’s APU chip and heat sink. The liquid metal is prone to leaking when the PS5 is left sitting upright for an extended period. When users stand the PS5 vertically, liquid metal may start to move or seep out. This inhibits the console’s ability to manage the heat coming off its APU, potentially damaging the processor. The liquid metal can also drip onto other sensitive components, causing a short circuit. This problem exists on both versions of the PS5.

Hopefully, Sony fixes the PS5, so the Liquid metal thermal paste does not leak out when place in the vertical position.

I feel bad for people who bought this console and hopefully, this gives scalpers a run for their money.

I wonder if there is a chance that some horizontally positioned PS5 with a slight slant may also have the liquid thermal paste slowly leak if the table or floor it is place on is slightly slanted with one side higher than another side like a triangle ramp which causes the thermal paste to slowly slide toward the lower part of the console's CPU chip because of gravity pulling the paste downwards toward the lower part.

No idea what you mean?
People decide to skip buying a PS5 because it's defective. Or people with a PS5 can properly prevent this from happening in the future, and then not give in to scalpers. I feel like the number of damaged consoles from this would be low though.

People decide to skip buying a PS5 because it's defective. Or people with a PS5 can properly prevent this from happening in the future, and then not give in to scalpers. I feel like the number of damaged consoles from this would be low though.

It's not really defective, just got to be smart in how you have it, like all consoles, laying down.

I wonder if there is a chance that some horizontally positioned PS5 with a slight slant may also have the liquid thermal paste slowly leak if the table or floor it is place on is slightly slanted with one side higher than another side like a triangle ramp which causes the thermal paste to slowly slide toward the lower part of the console's CPU chip because of gravity pulling the paste downwards toward the lower part.
You’re trying too hard at that point.

Everyone in this thread is worried about nothing.

It turns out that whoever started this "rumor" was fishing for clicks. If you open up the console and don't know what you're doing, then this issue will arise. If your name is Spawn Wave, or this guy from Germany who does detailed fixing of PS5's then I'll trust that this issue would be worth bringing to Sony Corp.

This whole situation was a hoax. I read it somewhere and right now the story died out because the dude got exposed.

Everyone in this thread is worried about nothing.

It turns out that whoever started this "rumor" was fishing for clicks. If you open up the console and don't know what you're doing, then this issue will arise. If your name is Spawn Wave, or this guy from Germany who does detailed fixing of PS5's then I'll trust that this issue would be worth bringing to Sony Corp.

This whole situation was a hoax. I read it somewhere and right now the story died out because the dude got exposed.

I posted it as it seem like it could be legit.

Exactly. I understand the number of consoles that is going to be affected by this will be low, but will you be happy when yours is one of it? Everyone got a reason to be worried.

Just recently I had to stand my PS5 vertically, since I got a brand new tv that's much bigger than my previous one. Prior to this, my PS5 has always been set up horizontally. I'm not sure if this is really something I need to worry about, I don't play my PS5 that often if I'm being honest.

It would be an amazing flaw if true but I'm not convinced it's true. Hell of a lie for a youtuber to make up, bet they got some views!

It would be an amazing flaw if true but I'm not convinced it's true. Hell of a lie for a youtuber to make up, bet they got some views!
Funny story. I came across a YT short that was about a guy intentionally making a mistake so the comments can correct him and get more views through his interactions.

I posted it as it seem like it could be legit.
I mean.. the video you linked is legit, Steve at TronicsFix often sends him bits to take a look at that he can't do.

However, the video itself doesn't confirm the story - and Steve commented on it in one of his videos stating that he's doubtful.

Back