Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Oh hey, Sony just released a new PlayStation 4 Pro model! Wait, what?

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry reports that the new model runs a few decibels quieter than a previously updated version Sony released in 2017, which itself ran a few decibels quieter than the original 2016 model. The reduction apparently comes from a new type of power supply. This new supply uses the standard figure-eight-style input that's also used in the PlayStation 4 Slim, Xbox One, and Xbox One X. Older PlayStation 4 Pros used a three-prong connector for their power supplies.

If you wish to purchase this version, just look for the CUH-7200 model number on the PS4 Pro packaging.

I feel I rather get the louder version of the PS4 Pro because there are not many reports of many reliability problems, so my chances of getting a defective PS4 Pro maybe less likely.

I'm afraid that Sony may of switch to a quieter fan which spins slower which blows less cool air to properly cool the PS4 Pro from overheating, and the new figure 8 power cable is not as durable as the older style power supply's power cable.

Yeah I don't know if going from a three prong to a two prong on such a strong console is a good idea.

I'm worried that the power cable will also be less durable where the protective plastic cable covering and internal wires are thinner, so they are more likely to break after unplugging and re-plugging them into a PS4 too much, or moving the cable around too much.

I feel 3 prong power connectors are more durable than the figure 8 two prong power ports which look less durable.

Back