RadioShack Goes Bankrupt For Second Time In Two Years; Sprint Will Take Over Some Stores

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
That was quick. Barely two years after filing for its previous bankruptcy, RadioShack has again run out of money and options, resulting in the retail chain’s second Chapter 11 filing since Feb. 2015.

The company that filed for bankruptcy protection today isn’t technically the same business that went under back in 2015. Instead, today’s filing came from General Wireless Operations — a partnership between Standard General and Sprint.

Read More

This is unfortunate for RadioShack and its workers.

I wonder could the government help RadioShack improve their business by helping RadioShack's workers to learn more tech and retail skills like electronic maintenance/repair, technical support, and customer service. A better educated workforce can help RadioShack's customers better when they are need to buy a tech product, or service.

I didn't even know RadioShack was still a thing. The only one I ever knew of was gone sometime after 2007 and I thought it was just a dead company.

I thought that company went completely under? I know they closed our local store, sadly..

Sad, but expected. Heard it's because RadioShack lost sight of their original audience and tried to become 'yet another general tech brand'. If they'd stayed focused on providing supplies for hobbyists and more technical customers (especially in today's day and age), these issues may not have occurred.

Sad, but expected. Heard it's because RadioShack lost sight of their original audience and tried to become 'yet another general tech brand'. If they'd stayed focused on providing supplies for hobbyists and more technical customers (especially in today's day and age), these issues may not have occurred.

I believe this is the reason why Staples is somewhat hanging by a thread.

I agree if RadioShack stayed focus on providing parts, and possibly repair services for things like smartphones, tablets, and radios, they may do better.

I also felt Radioshack missed out on the mini-PC hobbyist market like the Raspberry Pi $35 mini PC which is popular with many electronics hobbyist.

RadioShack also used to sell a lot of fun tech toys like Disco balls, toy robots, and Science toys like tiny solar panels for powering a fan or lightbulb in school science projects.

But, RadioShack became another electronics stores which sold DVD players, computers, and phones which you can get at Best Buy, eBay, and Amazon for the same or cheaper prices.

Back