Resident Evil 6 Review

GracefulAssassin

Mori Hater
Awards
Credits
Resident Evil 6 is the latest entry to the long running Resident Evil series. In this installment, Capcom took a different approach to the series, but the real question is is if they failed at this approach.

Singleplayer 9/10

In Resident Evil 6, the player can choose from 3 campaigns at first, and once those three are completed, you unlock the secret fourth chapter. The three campaigns, which are separated into 5 chapters each, you can choose from at first follow Leon S. Kennedy, who is accompanied by Helena Harper, Chris Redfield, accompanied by Piers Nivans, and Jake Muller, accompanied by Sherry Birkins. Helena, Piers, and Jake are newcomers to the series, while Leon, Chris, and Sherry are returning characters. Recommended route is Leon, Chris, and then Jake, but order isn't that important. In Leon's campaign, you and Helena must clear your names and re-earn your stripped ranks in the US government, which you work for, because you two are framed by a man named Simmons. In Chris' campaign, you and Piers must full fill your BSAA mission, which is to prevent the C-Virus from spreading, which is the new zombie virus. Finally in Jake's campaign, you need to survive because Sherry came for Jake's blood, which can cure the C-Virus. The secret campaign I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers. The campaign, while a tad boring at times due to lack of action, or just a tedious trip from point A to point B, then back to point A, is all around an interesting story, filled with multiple environments, ranging from cities to mountains. All the campaigns intertwine in one way or another, and you will occasionally be helped by another duo. As you progress though the story, you'll find yourself more intrigued to finish it because it will leave you wondering something at the end of each chapter. A problem as you progress is the horrific checkpoints. On numerous occasions I had to go back 30 minutes of gameplay, and lost all my ammo, herbs, and collectibles (although others say that never happened to them, so it is possible that it is just my game). This leads me to the next two points, ammo and collectibles. Ammo is scarce throughout the game, and it is highly recommended that you conserve as much as you can on Professional, the highest difficulty, but it isn't so bad that you will never use it. As for collectibles, each chapter has 4 Serpent Tokens which unlock files and character figurines. Overall, the campaign is expansive and fun, but can be boring and cheesy at times, and will most likely take you 25-30 hours to complete the four campaigns.

Multiplayer 8/10

In Resident Evil 6, there are three different types of multiplayer aspects: co-op campaign, The Mercenaries, and Agent Hunt. Co-op is almost exactly like the singleplayer, except that playing with a buddy is always fun, and it makes the game much easier, especially on Pro. Not much else to say except that you can heal each other when the other is down. The Mercenaries is a game mode that is either solo or duo (better duo). There are quite a few unlockables, like a few maps, alternate costumes for each character, and a secret character. In the game mode, you will be given a time limit to eliminate a set amount of enemies, running into secret bosses in each map. The gameplay is the same as the rest of the game, except that you get bonuses for getting a combo, which is killing zombies over and over without going down. The ultimate objective is to kill all the enemies, and get the highest score possible. The best part is unlocking Sherry's alternate costume though (my avatar). ;) Agent Hunt is new to the series as a whole. In it you can play as the main heroes, or the enemies against them. It all takes place during the campaigns. You are giving the option to let players join your game as the enemy, and their objective is to prevent you from beating the chapter. You are basically just playing the game as the other side. The multiplayer has a lot to offer, and is a lot of fun with a friend, but it's basically just the same as the singleplayer.

Gameplay 9/10

This is an aspect to the game that Capcom definitely revamped, in a good way. Before, you couldn't move, aim, and shoot in Resident Evil games (absurd right?), but in this you can! That is probably the best gameplay improvement. The other big one is that when you go down, you can heal yourself by waiting it out for a few seconds, unless your partner heals you. Along with shooting, you can also crawl on the ground on your back and shoot like that, you can take cover with the new cover system, and you can basically hide behind anything that's like a wall. And say you ran out of ammo, you can melee, which still does a lot of damage, and this way you can sneak up on unsuspecting zombies, or you can counter their attacks, and if you get fancy, you can perform a coup de grace counter, which is just a stronger counter, that also looks flashy. Each character plays the same, but they have different weapons, giving diversity on how you want to kill your zombies, J'avo, or Chrysallids. There isn't anything to special to the game, it's kind of like Uncharted, but it's fun, and that's why Uncharted was fun, and the only real flaw is the camera; sometimes it will freak out on you.

Technical 8/10

Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. The graphics looks great, and the character and environment designs looks sleak. Water affects look realistic, and the water itself looks real as well. Like mentioned earlier, you visit multiple different environments, like a city, a mountain, and underwater. The music in the game is nice, while not always comforting, it fits the mood, especially when it's at a part that's supposed to really make you jump.

Verdict

All in all, Resident Evil 6 is a well made game, and a definite must for any that is a fan of the series, or that enjoys 3rd person shooters, or survival horrors, although it's not that scary. The campaign has a good plot, with some boring parts,but it's lengthy. The multiplayer is nothing spectacular, but if you have a friend over, or a friend that owns a copy, you two will have a lot of fun. A game well worth the $60, Resident Evil holds up to the series' name.

9/10

I have a hard time believing this game "holds" up to the Resident Evil name when Capcom themselves admit to derailing from the series with their new survival/action turn on the series. Had these games ( RE4, RE5, RE6 ) been released under a different title with different main character names, I might have enjoyed them more. Yes, I prefer the old school RE style of survival horror. I understand games have to be updated, but Capcom turned RE into Gears of War overtime. They went after the money, not their fans.

Good Review, though. Nice and in-depth. I'm just skeptic if you're review is based off the "new game wow" factor, and will change over time. I remember RE5 so many worshiped it when it was released, but months later, they realized how terrible and repetitive it was.

I'm not like that, I wouldn't like a game just because it's new. RE 5 was a pretty lame installment for the franchise (good game, but like you said, it would have been better under a different title). And it really is just a fun game, especially with a buddy. I haven't got bored of it yet, even having to grind points for skill points. 4, 5, and 6 are a lot different than RE back in the day, but it could be argued for the better. I didn't like 3 that much, 1 and 2 were good though, but 4 was my first game in the series, and it still remains my favorite, 6 being a close second.

Also, thanks for the praise. :grin:

Yeah, you seem a little wiser than that lol. So may people play a new game and are like "OMFGZZZ you gotsa play dis game now. It iz tha bestest game of all timez!!!!!!"

I am interested in the run n shoot element FINALLY added to the series after 15 years lol.

Only thing is I already know the spoiler about a certain character that now has a son. I really feel that is a stupid surprise because Capcom knows they fudged up in killing that "sons" father who was a staple to the series.

Nice review. :o I should try this game out, I liked #4, also did you add me on PSN?

@Bowser Thanks! The game is really good, and if you liked 4, you will probably like this one. And I'll add you now.
@Memento I don't always spoil things! lol And thanks, I wanted to keep the review a spoiler free. I'm so used to just talking to DS on the chat box, that I'll say anything. lol
@HCF Yeah, it's like when people say the new CoD is better than anything. >_> It pisses me off. And yes, run and shoot was much needed in this one. lol
And I also agree to an extent. It's always nice to see the story progress, but seeing him die was pretty sad because he was one of the main faces of Resident Evil, but his son is pretty cool in my opinion. And as long as they don't kill off Leon, I'll be a fan. Second he dies... I quit the series. lol

I like 4 best, 5 is fun, and 6 makes me kind of sad. I don't actually like 6, but less due to nostalgia and more due to well... maybe I should write a review of my own for this game. What do you think?

Nice review about Resident Evil 6. The last resident evil that i play on are RE 4.
I think RE 6 will be the best part of the series.

Back